Author Topic: Pemberton family, Whitchurch  (Read 9473 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Pemberton family, Whitchurch
« on: Friday 02 March 07 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone looking for any Pembertons in the Whitchurch area?

My 2XG-Grandmother was Mary Pemberton, and according to census returns she was born in Shropshire, sometime around 1837 (which also tallies with the age given on her headstone in Carlisle cemetary).

The only Mary Pemberton I can find to fit these details is:

MARY ANN PEMBERTON 
Christening:  15 APR 1838   Whitchurch, Shropshire, England
Father:  GEORGE PEMBERTON
  Mother:  SARAH     

There was a brother:

GEORGE PEMBERTON 
Christening:  03 OCT 1841   Whitchurch, Shropshire, England
Father:  GEORGE PEMBERTON
  Mother:  SARAH     

I'm having difficulty tracking down Mary's marriage to a William ROUTLEDGE, c.1853, as he was in the Royal Artillery and they seem to have moved around a lot ! Their children were born all over the place, due to his postings around the country and abroad. Their eldest child (my G-Grandmother, Mary Jane) was born c.1854 - calculated from census returns - in Gosport.

Any help appreciated! :)

Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Pemberton family, Whitchurch
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 April 07 10:47 BST (UK) »
Firstly, check the Surname Interest Table You never know what you may find!!

Secondly, You can search the complete BMD indexes, for free, Click here

You will need to check out every quarter for every year, and although it can take some time, it will be worth it in the end ;)

Good Luck :D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 April 07 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, Lloydy,

I have trolled through the BMD's on Ancestry and I did send off for a marriage certificate of a William Routledge and Mary Pemberton that took place in St.Mary's, Chester, 1853, which looked about right for dates (given their first child was born c.1854/5) but Mary's Father's name doesn't tally with what I had.

Her age would suggest she was born c.1834 - the only other info I have is her Christening in 1838, which might be possible if not an infant baptism.

Don't think I'm ever going to get further with this, realistically, but I live in hope!  ;)

Thanks for your suggestions anyway! ;D
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 April 07 20:50 BST (UK) »

Mary's Father's name doesn't tally with what I had.

What sources do you have for Mary's father?  The IGI entries that you posted in your original post?  I wouldn't rely entirely on the IGI as there are known to be errors.

In the census what does it say for Mary's place of birth? Just Shropshire, or is there a town listed?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 April 07 21:18 BST (UK) »
Sadly, yes, it was an IGI entry that suggested the parents for Mary.

On the 1871 census, she appears under her married name of Routledge, the place of birth is recorded as Shropshire. It's the only census I can find her on - in 1861 she and her husband and elder children were in the West Indies, as he was in the ARMY. In 1851 I'm assuming she would have been unmarried but I can't find her on that or the 1841 census either. She died in 1873.   :(

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure how this will help, but here's the birth reference for Mary Jane, in case you wanted to get the cert.

Mary Jane ROUTLEDGE  Dec Q  1854  Alverstoke  v.2b  p.382

Regards
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 14:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I'd looked Mary Jane's birth details up but lost them!  ;)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 18:38 BST (UK) »

Well done Daisy, you beat me to it ;D

Stoney, you said that Mary's father's name was wrong on that marriage certificate you requested.   What name was on there? Was it very different to what the IGI quoted? 

I'm sure there would be cases where a middle name may have been used instead of christian name.  My Dad is a prime example of that!!!.....he was baptised Richard Brian, but hardly ever uses the name Richard, unless it's for a legal document.  I have never heard my Mum call him Richard.

I've found the following in the 1841:

HO107/903/6 Page 8 Line 10 - Dodington, Whitchurch, Shropshire

All Pemberton

John Pemberton 45 Gardener Y
Sarah 17 Y
Mary 10 Y
James 8 Y
Hannah 4 Y

HO107/904/2 Page 6 Line 12 - Burleigh Lodge, Bolas Magna, Shropshire

All Pemberton

Thomas Pemberton 20 Ag Lab Y
Mary 30 Y
Mary 10 Y
Anna 8 months Y

I know that Mary's age isn't quite right, but thought I'd post the details just in case ;)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 19:01 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 I can see:

Mary Pemberton age 18 born Shropshire Astley, working for an Innkeeper and his family in Cheshire.

HO107/2171 Folio 133 Page 18

Mary Pemberton age 18 born Shropshire Whitchurch, working for a Lodge keeper in Chester.

HO107/2172 Folio 280 Page 39

Let me know if you'd like the full details.

I've just re-read one of your earlier replies and noticed that the marriage you mentioned took place in Chester.

Can you post the full details of the "wrong" marriage certificate please?