Author Topic: Pemberton family, Whitchurch  (Read 9487 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Pemberton family, Whitchurch
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 20:32 BST (UK) »
For starters I've checked marriages on the complete BMD Index at Ancestry for years 1852 - 1855 and the only marriage for a William Routledge and Mary Pemberton is:

1853 Oct/Nov/Dec Quarter
Great Boughton 7a 518

which I think is the one you've already got!

Overseas marriages can be searched at Find My Past but unfortunately I don't subscribe to that site so can't check it out.  Maybe another Rootschatter would be willing ;)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello, Lloydy,

Yes the marriage at Gt Boughton is the one I sent for :

3/Nov/1853
William Routledge, 24, Batchelor, Labourer, residence: Castle of Chester, Father: John Routledge, Mason

Mary Pemberton, 19, Spinster (no profession given), residence: Castle Street, Father; John Pemberton, Labourer.

The entry for Mary's Christening I found on the IGI is:

MARY ANN PEMBERTON 
Christening:  15 APR 1838   Whitchurch, Shropshire, England
Father:  GEORGE PEMBERTON
  Mother:  SARAH   

Also a brother:

GEORGE PEMBERTON 
Christening:  03 OCT 1841   Whitchurch, Shropshire, England
Father:  GEORGE PEMBERTON
  Mother:  SARAH     

.....make of it what you will!  ::)
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 21:48 BST (UK) »
....just been thinking about Mary Pemberton - the only census return I have with her is 1871 and her age is given as 36, birthplace listed is Shropshire (no town).

This coupled with the MI I have (in Carlisle Cemetery):

"In loving memory of William Routledge who died March 2nd 1906 Aged 80 years.  Also Mary, wife of the above who died July 19th 1873 Aged 37 years
 Rest in Peace"

Seems to suggest her date of birth c,1835-1836, so the reference to a Christening in 1838 seems logical... doesn't it? Or am I clutching at straws?  ???
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 May 07 08:19 BST (UK) »

Hello again

Sorry I haven't replied to you much sooner...........I must have missed this one.

Will take another look, and get back to you asap!!!
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 May 07 08:34 BST (UK) »

I've just been re-reading through our replies, and just wanted to confirm that you have in fact obtained proof of Mary's maiden name? (I hate to ask, as I'm sure you have!!!).

Mary Jane ROUTLEDGE  Dec Q  1854  Alverstoke  v.2b  p.382
Do you have your Great Grandmother's birth certificate?

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 May 07 09:29 BST (UK) »
Ok..............

....just been thinking about Mary Pemberton - the only census return I have with her is 1871 and her age is given as 36, birthplace listed is Shropshire (no town).
RG10/5218 Folio 17 Page 28 - Living at 16 South Street, Botchergate, Carlisle.

If this is the right family, then here they are in 1881:

RG11/5155 Folio 15 Page 22 - 2 Howe Street, Botchergate, Carlisle

William Routledge Head Marr 53 Railway Signalman/Pensioner Royal Artillery b. Cumberland, Hayton
Amelia Routledge Dau Unmar 20 b. Bermuda, British Subject
James Routledge Son Unmar 17 Apprentice Carpenter b. Hampshire, Gosport
Richard Routledge Son 13 Scholar b. Cumberland, Hayton
Emma Routledge Dau 11 Scholar b. Cumberland, Hayton
Susan Routledge Dau 10 Scholar b. Cumberland, Hayton
Jacob Routledge Son 8 Scholar b. Cumberland, Hayton

William surely should be a Widower ???

and in 1891

RG12/4285 Folio 138 Page 35 - 4 Howe Street, Botchergate, Carlisle

William Routledge Head Widr 63 Railway Signalman b. Cumberland, Hayton
Emma Routledge Dau S 21 b. Cumberland, Carlisle
Susan Routledge Dau S 19 Dressmaker b. Cumberland, Carlisle
Jacob Routledge Son S 18 Railway Porter b. Cumberland, Carlisle

This coupled with the MI I have (in Carlisle Cemetery):

"In loving memory of William Routledge who died March 2nd 1906 Aged 80 years.  Also Mary, wife of the above who died July 19th 1873 Aged 37 years
Rest in Peace"

How certain are you that this is "your William and Mary"? 

According to the census, there does appear to be another William and Mary Routledge in Botchergate - see RG9/3915 Folio 21 Page 35.

I hope you don't think that I'm questioning your information, but we do have to be completely 100% ;)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 May 07 10:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's definitely "my" William and Mary buried at that location - their daughter Susan Agatha is also buried there - a recently deceased relative of mine remembered her.

I sent for Susan's birth certificate and it gave her mother's maiden surname as Pemberton - so I think we can considered that "proved".

Thanks for having another look, anyway!  ;)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 May 07 10:07 BST (UK) »

RG13/4869 Folio 81 Page 5 - Elue Torres, Caldwegate, Cumberland

William Routledge Head M 74 Army Pension b. Cumberland Hayton
Susan Routledge Dau S 29 Dressmaker Own Acct At Home b. Cumberland Carlisle
Jacob Routledge Son S 27 Tin Cutter (Factory) b. Cumberland Carlisle

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 May 07 10:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I found this a little while ago. The address should read Elm Terrace - I often remember my Mother and Grandmother talking about the house there. (I think it was absorbed into what is now Newtown Road) Yes, they're definitely all my lot!