Author Topic: DOBSON Ruth. Look-up please? Wilsden, Bradford  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Wendy in W. Aust.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
DOBSON Ruth. Look-up please? Wilsden, Bradford
« on: Thursday 25 November 04 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Ruth Dobson was born in Wilsden, Bradford in 1852.  She was my great grand mother.  I know nothing about her family, and almost despair of ever learning more about her.  Please help !
Meanwhile.....                                                                             
May I say THANK YOU to Pauline, Barry and Ticker who kindly responsed with information and advice.
RUTH came of a family of spinner and weavers, and from a young age was quite at home with looms and bobbins.  She never went to school.
In the March quarter of 1873 she married Edmund Fenwick in Keighley, Yorkshire.  In 1873 they produced a daughter, Alice.  Then in 1874 my grand mother, Sarah Jane arrived, and finally in 1879 they had daughter Ann.
All three daughters later came to Australia and lead long and productive lives.  My grand mother lived to 81, and her sister Ann lived to 101.
I know Ruth had brothers and sisters, but what their names were, or their parents names were - I don't know.  I'd love to know more...
Wendy in W. Aus.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: DOBSON Ruth. Look-up please? Wilsden, Bradford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 04 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy

Welcom to Rootschat. :D

Can you tell us any more?  Presumably you know one of her children - your grandparent?

Any little bit of information will help narrow it down.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 04 13:39 GMT (UK) »

A good look around the relevant Local history site should provide some leads. You may have to consider purchasing some indexes to help. They are not too expensive.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/bfhs/publctns.html

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 04 01:10 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Wendy - here are all the Dobsons from the 1851 census of Wilsden:-

522 87 Fairbank Fold   Dobson Ritta Maria Head Unm F 36 Worsted Warper Yorks., Thornton
522 87 Fairbank Fold   Dobson Betty Daur - F 13 House Servant Yorks., Thornton
522 87 Fairbank Fold   Dobson John Son - M 9 Scholar Yorks., Thornton

524 97 Crossley Hall    Dobson Hannah Daur Mar F 30 - Yorks., Manningham
524 97 Crossley Hall    Dobson Samuel Son in Law Mar M 30 {32deleted}
Labourer Yorks., Thornton
524 97 Crossley Hall    Dobson Gilbert Son - M 2 - Yorks., Allerton

606 14 239 Kincliffe     Dobson Timothy Head Widr. M 56 Wool Comber Yorks., Wilsden
606 14 239 Kincliffe     Dobson Nancy Daur Unm F 31 Power Loom Weaver (Worsted) Yorks., Wilsden
606 14 239 Kincliffe     Dobson Timothy Son Unm M 27 Wool Comber Yorks., Wilsden
606 14 239 Kincliffe     Dobson Susannah Daur Unm F 25 Power Weaver (Worsted) Yorks., Wilsden
606 14 239 Kincliffe     Dobson Mary Daur Unm F 20 Power Weaver (Worsted) Yorks., Wilsden
606 14 239 Kincliffe     Dobson John Grandson - M 10 Worsted Spinner & Scholar Yorks., Wilsden
606 14 239 Kincliffe     Dobson Thomas Grandson - M 5 - Yorks., Wilsden
Hope that helps,
regards,
Barry
Emmott - Yorkshire, Hampshire and London
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline Wendy in W. Aust.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 November 04 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barry,  thank you for passing on that information from the Census.  I am very grateful for your efforts!
I am guessing my Ruth was born after the Census was taken, as her name does not appear.  Not suprising, since on checking I see she was not born until 1852!  Still a twinkle in her father's eye.......  All I know of her is that she came of a family of spinners and weavers, and from a very young age was quite at home with bobbins and looms etc.  She never went to school.
In the March quarter of 1873 she married Edmund Fenwick in Keighley, Yorkshire.  In 1874 she had my great aunt, Alice.  In 1875 she had my grandmother, Sarah Jane.  Then in 1879 she had a third daughter, Ann.
All three girls finished up in Australia and lead long, productive lives.  In fact Ann lived to 101.
Sorry to bore you with remote detail.
Once again, THANK YOU.
Wendy in Western Australia