Author Topic: Unusual first/middle name  (Read 7122 times)

Offline Lalique

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Unusual first/middle name
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 March 04 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Sylviaann, but this is definitely for the men in our family and in their case it's not short for Lucy!  No french connection that we know of either.  It's a name that was handed down fathers to sons, so as I go back further I hope to find the original Luce - having an unusual name can sometimes be an advantage in this business!
Researching:  Collins, Hosking, Phipps, Jenner

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 March 04 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Well you piqued my interest with your Luces,  so I had a quick look at FreeBMD.  I found that it is definately a more popular name at the beggining of the C19th,  almost seeming to die out towards the end.  It is much more popular in Wales,  almost all of the occurances are Welsh,  and these examples seem to be men:

Marriages Mar 1838  
Evan    Mary        Llanelly    26   606C     
Evan    Thomas         Llanelly    26   606C     
Rees    Luce         Llanelly    26   606C     
Thomas    Ann         Llanelly    26   606c     

Marriages Dec 1846  
Phillips    David        Abergavenny    26   6     
Thomas    Amy         Abergavenny    26   6     
Walker    Kezia         Abergavenny    26   6     
Williams    Luce         Abergavenny    26   6     

Annet    Luce James    ?    Farnbro    2a   62     

Walsh    Luce Bertrand         Dursley    6a   247

There are some that are clearly women,  but these tend to be outside Wales.

I don't know if I have added to any-ones knowledge,  but I thought it interesting myself.   :D

Kazza.     

Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline pennyS

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 March 04 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just received a family tree from my 2nd cousin and one of our ancestors first name is Silence. She was born in Northamptonshire in 1757.   Presumably the family were non-conformists ?  Where can I find out more info?  Any help appreciated.  

Penny

Offline johnfw

• RootsChat Member
  • 5 convict ancestors !! how bad does it get ??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 March 04 00:13 GMT (UK) »
NAMES ARE INTERESTING

In my family tree I have instances of recurring given middle names. One instance is the use of my paternal GG Grandmothers, mothers maiden family name as a given middle name in the next 3 generations. Also the recurrence of 3 given names being used in each successive generation. Another family branch used the given name of one member killed on the Western Front in 1916 being used over a whole spread of cousins for 2 generations. Also one branch used the same set of given names in each succesive branch which in some cases was also practised by partners families, this resulted in numerous Daniels marrying an equal number of Elizabeths over the same time frame, try sorting one family from the other.

My maternal G Grandfather changed his surname for some obscure reason at the time of his marriage in 1850, maybe to hide some past misdeed, yet continued to use the past surname as a given middle name for some of his offspring. This was thought to be so that a proof of inheritance could be established in the old country if required.

I have many instances where this pattern of naming has helped identify a family member.
WILKES WILKS; Gloucester
PIGGIN; Leicester