Author Topic: Home Children to Canada on the Sarmation  (Read 12207 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children to Canada on the Sarmation
« Reply #36 on: Friday 09 May 08 04:23 BST (UK) »
Looked through the 1060 names and this is the only one that seems to match!

JAMES LEE   b. 1840 England / Farm Laborer religion: C of E 
wife Annie
 Children: James  age 12 England
 Edit age 10  England
 Florence Maud  age 8 England      
 William Ernest age  6  Ontario
 George Arthur age  4 Ontario
 Rhoda Jane  age 2  Ontario

The only other 2 "L 's" were Lycett & Lowry

Now we need to peek into the 1891 for these families...Can anyone do this?

This family is in york west in 1901 and reveals nothing...
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=31866&highlight=20
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 06:02 BST (UK) »
I believe this is the directory for 1880 "Durham County"

Directory and book of reference for the west riding of the county of Northumberland and the county of Durham
http://www.ourroots.ca/e/toc.aspx?id=11289

Keep your eye on this site for the census information

Ontario Census Project
http://ontariocensus.rootsweb.ancestry.com/TWPN.html

Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Con

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 16 June 08 16:38 BST (UK) »
Janice, Linda and J.J. 

Thank you for all these suggestions and also for the reminders from J.J.  I am afraid my daughter (and I also have to stay with her) has been in and out of hospital several times leaving me no opportunity to clear E-mails etc.  This will continue as her life expectancy was always limited and clearly it is all gradually become more intensive.  (Not a matter for great trauma as she is neither aware nor suffering, which eases the situation, but the care needs on me are 24/7 and this has to be my priority)

I think I will pass this information on to the descendents of Robert Gay in the USA as they may be able to make more use of the geographical history than I and may be able to think of a way to make use of the details you have all offered.

It seems we are rather unlucky with Kate and Elizabeth's ages and the year in which they sailed.  They just missed the 1881 censuses and then cannot be found in 1891, by which time they could possibly have married.  Do you think it would be worth while for me to write to a Newcastle newspaper or perhaps a local genealogy group? 

Perhaps we have exhausted all possible lines of enquiry - do you agree?

Again, thank you all so very much.

Connie

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Con

The James Lee for 1891 census is transcribed on the OGSPI website and no Kate Gay is living there in 1891
http://www.ogs.on.ca/ogspi/9/o059e100.htm

She must have moved on, married or died by then, if this is the JL.

That was a wonderful discovery by Janice and JJ with the initials.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Con

On the 1891 England census there is a Nellie Day born Paddington age 13 that looks interesting.
RG12/1 Folio 116 Page 38

Head of household is Benjamin Day, husband of Alice
Alice is the wife born Marylebone age 34. (10 years off, Charlotte & Alice seem to be interchangeable ??)
Mable daughter, age 11, 2 years younger than Nellie also born Paddington - could this be Maud??
Also son William age 5 also born Paddington - could this be the son born around 1885 you mention

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Con

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 10:40 BST (UK) »
Yes Linda, I would never have been able to find my way to get even close to thinking about the Lee and the Nicholson families, so my medals are awarded to JJ and Janice.  And, again, their ages in relation to the censuses are just about the worst possible - so much could have happened to them by the time the girls became 17/18. 

I do know of the family of Benjamin Day in the UK censuses.  In fact GAY is quite a common name around London at that time, together with all our girls names, Charlotte , Alice, Nellie, etc.  Blame Queen Victoria , too, for having so many daughters with popular names!  There are a couple of GAY families in that area of London at the same time and I have been able to track them all to prove they are quite separate.  I also have full details for Charlotte Alice's father-in- law Charles Gay and his large family and two wives.  I have his will as well where 'baby' Robert - his grandson - and my grandmother Nellie were mentioned.

I think it is most likely that the last illegitimate son  - Frederick - was either not registered at birth or was born in a workhouse or similar.  I have paid for some workhouse records to be searched but so far with no success.  For a widow in such trouble in those days there are many dark possibilities about what happened to her.

Connie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, Con...
Am so very sorry for your Daughter's and your trials... Our hearts & thoughts go out to you...

As there is always new information surfacing...one never knows when something might turn up...One set of home children suddenly turned up on the LAC site, mush to our amazement, as we'd thought it was complete...but seems to be new additions as they find new info...So Frederick may also show up yet as well...

as for the searching, we are always happy to go the extra mile for our home children queries, as we have a special place in our hearts for them...and are happy to do it!
all the best,  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 03:40 BST (UK) »
Connie

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie