Author Topic: Latchmere House Borstal, Kingston Surrey  (Read 5596 times)

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Latchmere House Borstal, Kingston Surrey
« on: Sunday 04 March 07 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where I might find any info about boys Borstals. I am especially interested in Latchmere House in Kingston Surrey. I typed in a search but got nowhere.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Joy
Latchmere House Borstal
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline blodwen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Colin
    • View Profile
Re: Latchmere House Borstal, Kingston Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 March 07 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hallo Roadrunner465,

I have just done a google search for Latchmere House Borstal and came up with some info.  I'm  not sure though how far back you need to go.

Address: HMP Latchmere House, Church Rd, Ham Common, Richmond, Surrey, TW10 5HH.  Tel: (020) 8588 6650

Vivien
Gywnedd/Caernarvonshire: Roberts, Evans;
Glamorganshire: Griffiths, Thomas;
Middlesex: Sibley, Barnett;
Beds: Sibley
Kent: Jury, Hunt;
Yorkshire/Middlesbrough: Wright, Sullivan;
Irleand/Cork: Donovan, Sullivan;
Northern Ireland (Monaghan): Keefe;

Census information is crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 March 07 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I know now that Latchmere is now a prison, but I would like info when it was a Borstal
Joy
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline Tony Foster

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 18 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I worked there from late 1967 to late 1968. No real problems with the boys but staff another matter! Oddly enough two of the nastiest were "civvies'' like myself
Tony Foster.

Offline pete mackean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 20 22:51 BST (UK) »
HI
there is lot of info regarding Latchmere House and depending which history period you want
do a google search for Latchmere House and have a click of images in top menu
there are quite a few images to see, inside and out over the years
the building its self is an old Manor House, may have been used as a convalescent home during WWI, and was abandoned for a while until the WWII when the War Office took it over for clandestine work, alien internees and prisoners of war were put through the doors to gain intelligence against the enemy and proved to be very useful, was part of the 'London Cage' which is worth a read, search for Camp 020 as well
The Camp also turned many of the earlier spies to double cross agents (one famous one is CARBO) and also much of the intelligence gained was used to catch notorious Nazi war criminals, can you imagine sifting through tons of hand typed intel, while WWII had ceased it continued for many until 1949
I guess as operations there ceased and moved over to Germany at end of war the Home Office took over using as a Borstal Camp, i think in later years it was used to accommodate full time prisoners who were transitioning between jail and free civilian life, then again abandoned
there are still some images as well as stories on line of the cells doorways etc, stories from staff who served there
Beverley Group took over to refurbish, most of the prison side has gone now to accommodate luxury housing, Latchmere is still there having been restored somewhat and converted into flats, but has retained much of its look, the biggest difference is there  are no more nasty huge fences, so its a massive improvement and i think returned to a former splender
all work now finished
Berkley are now looking at converting Trent Park Estate

hope that helps

Offline jdx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 September 20 17:50 BST (UK) »
Latchmere House was one of two assessment and allocation centers for boys sentenced to Borstal training in 1960 when I was there as a 'resident'.
There were many Borstal institutions around the country which had varying degrees of harsh or liberal conditions. Some were 'closed' with walls and cells and were more like adult prisons while others were 'open' with no fences and dormitories and communal living and little in the way of the strict discipline that was the hallmark of prison life in those days.
I found my way to this site as a result of trying to find some information about a deputy governor at Latchmere who took a personal interest in some of the boys there.
I'm not sure how he chose his 'subjects' but I do remember him interviewing me on a number of occasions about my treatment in prison as a 15 year old for about 5 months while awaiting trial. It was not only the offer of cigarettes - a very scarce commodity - that made me look forward to his visits. He seemed genuinely concerned. I regret that I took advantage of his concern by embellishing my story somewhat to encourage more frequent visits!
But the relationship also provided a further - and a much more valuable - consequence. My allocation was changed form a closed Borstal - Rochester, in Kent - to Hewell Grange, in Worcestershire - an open and relatively relaxed institution and much closer to my Midlands 'home'. That made a significant difference to my life for the next 9-12 months.
I don't recall the deputy governor's name. His most significant characteristic? He was generally accompanied by a dachshund!
I always wondered if his interests ever made their way into a book or report.
If anyone has any information about this gentleman, I would really appreciate hearing.

Offline Emmajune19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Latchmere House Borstal- Staff 1960
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 July 21 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have found the name
Of the Governor of Latchmere house for the gentleman on here who requires it.
I am Currently sitting in the National Archives reading room trying to find the name of the medical officer from the year 1959-1962.
After discovering some horrific news from a very close family member I’m set on a journey of discovering the identity of this staff member at Latchmere House.
The Governor I have come across on the assessment profile is Mr D T C. This is from a document of interviews held by various staff members with the boys from these dates (1959-1961)
I have further details if you require.
I was unable to find the medical officer at the time so if any one can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Zaphod99

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 July 21 19:51 BST (UK) »
I think it is currently being redeveloped for a housing estate.  It closed a year or two ago.  The day prisoners used to show owls at local events.

Z