Author Topic: Walter Armstrong, b.1842/6  (Read 3873 times)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Walter Armstrong, b.1842/6
« on: Monday 05 March 07 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the birth of the above gentle man, known info -
1881 census  age 39 ,b.Carlisle
1891      "          "   45, b. Dumfries,
1901      "          "   57, b. Roxboro
To confuse matters, in the 91 & 01 census his name is written as Adamson, but i do know his daughter married under the name of Armstrong
I know it's vague, any suggestions. bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Armstrong, b.1842/6
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 March 07 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bodger  :)

The IGI has the following births for a Walter Armstrong:

1839 - Middlebie, Dumfries
1845 - Half Morton, Dumfries
1846 - Canonbie, Dumfries

1845 - Castleton, Roxburgh
1847 -hawick, Roxburgh

1847 - Aspatria, Cumberland

- Have a look on family search for more details.

First question: are you sure that you have the same person on each of the cesuses?

If so, you might be able to narrow the field by looking at the names in birth order of any children. This might help in deciding his parents.

Regards

Gadget

Added - I'm not firing on all cylinders at the moment  :-\  Should have also said that it's worth checking the Scottish censuses to check whether any of them are still there when he was in England.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 March 07 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Gadget, 99.9 % sure,, i have another topic ongoing in  "Yorkshire look ups ", Armstrong family Sheffield 1901 Cen, all  the names, Euphemia Jane, Joseph Walter,Kate Ellen, Florence Ann, Clara, & Jessie, all fit into known info including dates.
Thanks bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bodger

Have you got him on the 1851-71 censuses in either England or Scotland? Ancestry now have the Scottish indexes. The 1851 index for Dumfriesshire is also available free  from http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx

There are four possibles on the 1851  - 3 Dumfriesshire and 1 in Roxburghshire. I'll put them up for you, if you want. None of  the parents' names fit very well with his children though. It might be that he moved south with his parents before 1851 though.

The Euphemia certainly suggests a Scottish connection.

Regards

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bodger

I've put my replies on your Yorkshire thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,218520.0.html

I've found him in Sheffield on the 1871, married and DS has found a marriage ref. I think it would be best for you to get this certificate, to find out his father's name and then come back to this thread with the info so that a more likely birth/baptism  might be found.

Regards

Gadget

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks , well after 12 yrs Gadget i finally got around to getting Walters wedding cert. and it would appear that i may have researched the wrong Armstrongs ?, bearing in mind the info from censuses indicates Dumfrieshire, Roxborough , areas.

Wedding cert info. Jun.6 1870, Rotherham
Walter Armstrong 28yrs. Draper , father Robert Armstrong , farmer / farrier (indistinct)
Emma Hall, 21 yrs. Spinster, father Charles Hall, Mineral Agent, all this family ties in.

So i am now looking for a Walter Armstrong b. 1842 if given age is correct ? Dumfrieshire with a father Robert ? Any suggestions. Thank You bodger 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 February 19 17:27 GMT (UK) »
I've just read your current thread which led me to this one.  I think loobyloo is probably correct. Those Session records in the Dumfries Historical Indexes are a really useful source.

I did suggest:

I think it would be best for you to get this certificate, to find out his father's name and then come back to this thread with the info so that a more likely birth/baptism  might be found.

Have you checked for a baptism?

Gadget

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 February 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
[quote author=bodger link=topic=218805.msg6680484#msg6680484 date=155058423
 Wedding cert info. Jun.6 1870, Rotherham
Walter Armstrong 28yrs. So i am now looking for a Walter Armstrong b. 1842 if given age is correct ?
[/quote]If accurate, then not necessarily 1842; any time between 7 June 1841 and 6 June 1842, so marginally more likely to be in 1841 than in 1842.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 February 19 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Forfarian - since when have ages been given accurately on marriage certs?

PS - how old was his wife?