Author Topic: Nottingham Lunatic Asylum  (Read 19483 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Nottingham Lunatic Asylum
« on: Tuesday 06 March 07 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I believe I have found a relative in 1871 resident in the Nottingham Lunatic Asylum. 
Does anyone know whether any records still remain and if so where they are held?  I don't live locally so I'm hoping if they are held, then the record centre will provide a look up service.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

KPM

I think I may have found the information I need now in the Nottinghamshire archives.
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline my family tree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nottingham Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 May 07 11:08 BST (UK) »
where would i find the Nottingham Archives ?
SLADEN,....NOTTINGHAM,NEWARK,MIDDLESEX.ST PANCRAS.
SMITH,......NOTTINGHAM,SHARDLOW
LOWE,.......NOTTINGHAM,SHEFFIELD,SHARDLOW
DUFFIN,....NOTTINGHAM,YORKSHIRE
WRIGHT,...NOTTINGHAM  
GOLLIN.....ILKESTON
BLAKE......ILKESTON,GALWAY

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 May 07 12:30 BST (UK) »
If you're looking for the Nottingham Archives building, it is off Wilford Street, behind the Evening Post building in Nottingham City Centre.

Sherwood.
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 May 07 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

You could try these links which may explain better than I could.... and it has a small street map and their opening times etc.

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives/visitingarchives.htm

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives/libraries-archives-contact.htm

Sheila.

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 07 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

I contacted the Nottingham archives by e-mail to confirm that they held the records for the time period I needed.  This was their reply:

We hold of the records of the Saxondale Hospital, also known as the Notts County Asylum. We have checked our catalogues and have located the following records which may be of interest to you:

Ref:
SO/HO 1/29  Register of pauper patients, 1857-1865

SO/HO 1/9/2   Medical Superintendent's case book, giving details of diagnoses and treatments, 1848-1886

SO/HO 1/60/5/1-2  Indexes of patients, 1812-1919, c1854-1919 [closed until 2020]

The register of pauper patients and Medical Superintendent's case book are open to public access at the Archives, however the indexes of patients is closed for 100 years after the date of the last entry until 2020. In order to access these indexes we are required to write to the Health Authority responsible for the records of Saxondale Hospital to request permission. If permission is granted, we would also be required to carry out the research for you.

I had to send a letter requesting they obtain permission from the Health authority and I also had to complete a research form.  It cost me £18.00 (for an hour) and I received the information back within a week of sending off my forms.  They were really helpful and the information they provided me with was exactly what I needed.

Good Luck with your search :D

Anne-Marie (KPM)
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 May 07 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne-Marie

I am pleased that you have found the information you required as it must have been by chance.

You said your relative was in Nottingham Lunatic Asylum which was Mapperley Hospital, Saxondale was Nottinghamshire County Asylum. For us locals there is a huge difference. Within the city boundary it was Mapperley and if resident in the county it was Saxondale. The two merged in the early 1980s as Care in the Community was beginning and patients, as they were called in those days, were moved out either into independant living or into smaller facilities. Saxondale closed and eventually the old Mapperley building closed to clients in the mid 1990s with a new smaller facility opening within the grounds of the old hospital for acute care, rehabilitation, other specialities, etc.

I have worked at Mapperley Hospital at various stages in my career and still manage a unit in the newer facility on that site.

If you require any more information either on Mapperley or Saxondale please contact me as I can contact the librarian directly. I can remember the 150th celebration of Mapperley in the late 1970s. Patient information is of course closed for 100 years (confidentiality etc.).

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 May 07 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Thank you for the information about Saxondale and Mapperley.  Not being a local, I only had the census records to go by.  I was lucky then to get this information so easily!

Thank you also for your kind offer to contact the librarian.  I would be really interested in an old photo of Saxondale if such a thing exists.

Thank you again for your time

Anne-Marie
Dorbon, St Pancras
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 May 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Jane.  Its good to put a picture to the place

Anne-Marie
Dorbon, St Pancras