Author Topic: Creetown Marshalls  (Read 24433 times)

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Creetown Marshalls
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 March 07 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

Have found a James Marshall, brn 1852 living with a family as a servant in 1871, He was at Kildonan, Stoneykirk...so think this could be the twin from above...he was working for the Sprott family.

Susan
Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 March 07 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Here is the family in 1871...Alexander must have died by this time.

Jane Marshall...age 65..whitesmiths mother
Stewart Marshall...son..age 25..whitesmith
Mary Marshall...daughter..age 19..employed doing about door work
Stewart Marshall...Grandson..age 3...

They are living at Auchencloy Cot Ho...Stoneykirk

Have fun with your researching  :)

Susan

Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 March 07 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan and Gadget

Phew, I just can't keep up with all this typing! It's like being back at work.

The family are becoming really fascinating. I now have to tie up some rather sensitive loose ends. My gt. grandmother, Jane Williamson, the grandaughter of the afore-mentioned Jane Marshall had 2 illegitamate children, Mary born 1880, and my grandmother, Ellen (or Helen on her birth-certificate) born 1883. She subsequently, appeared to "run-off" with a married man named David Blair. He was married to a Mary Scott in Dalrymple. I have not been able to find a death certificate for Mary Blair (nee Scott) or, worryingly, a marriage certificate for Jane and David Blair, even with the help of Stranraer Register Office. David and Mary were on the 1881 census living at Aird Cottage, Inch, Wigtown.

I certainly cannot be sure who my grandmother's father was. This is not an uncommon discovery in family history.

I can't thank you enough.

Regards,

Ankerdine
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 March 07 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with your search  :)

I also have one of those lines  :( On my KKD line as well! I have now practically given up with father-searching and have put lots more effort into the maternal line. One eighth of my tree will always be blank, I think.

I noticed that Mary Blair(nee Scott) was born England circa 1850. Could she have returned?

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 March 07 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Continuing on from the 1871. I'm not sure that you have Jane Marshall, snr, on the the 1881. Still at Cot House, Eldrick Hill, Stoneykirk Vol 898 ED 6 page 6

Jane Marshall, hd, wid, 72, retired hawker, b. Kirkmabreck, KKD (  ??? )
Mary (Jane) Marshall, daughter , unm, 27, outdoor worker, b. Kilmaurs, Ayr
Stewart Marshall, grandson,  13, scholar, b. Inch, Wigtownshire

Not sure but the way it is written suggests that Stewart is the son of Mary.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 March 07 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Jane Marshall, snr died 8 October 1887 at Culmore, Stoneykirk. Her age is given as 78. Her parents were John Marshall, weaver, deceased and Jane, maiden surname Caldwell, deceased.

Not sign of Alexander's death as yet.

Regards

Gadget

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 March 07 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget, for the latest information.
On the 1871 census if you reverse the place of birth for Jane and Mary (Jane) then that would be correct.
That's an interesting point about Mary Scott but her marriage certificate gives little away.
What a delightful website you have created. I promised my husband we can view it together tonight, especially as there's "nothing on the box". Like you, we have photos of Portpatrick and the barns where the Marshalls were living also. The curator of the little museum at Creetown took us personally to see where the carpet mill was situated. He himself had written a short history of Creetown and in his little book there was a paragraph about the poor conditions of the carpet mill workers. The original report was written at the time by the local vicar. The mill is, of course, in ruins now and strangely atmospheric.
I found an entry for a John Williamson (gt.gt.grandmother's husband) on either the 1841 or the 1851 census. Sorry, I can't remember which at the moment. It may have been the right one. What do you think. He had been widowed when he married Jane Marshall, with 2 living children. The entry read, roughly, John Williamson, Margaret Williamson, David Williamson and John Williamson living at Templeton Mill Barn, Twynholm. That's near Castle Douglas I think.
How do I post other family names and regions at the foot of my e-mail, as you and Susan have done please?
Once again, kind regards, and thank you.
Ankerdine
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 March 07 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I'll have a detailed look at the Williamson info  :)

We also had a lovely tour of the Museum in Creetown. The curator was a lovely man. he spent hours talking to us and it's all voluntary. People in D & G are so kind. In Parton, a person who had been the clerk of the Kirk got all his files out which contained old letters previous callers had given him of things that their ancestors had written. The previous callers seemed to have been all my kin in the 1960s. So sad that they are now all dead. He let me take them to Castle Douglas to photocopy. A wonderful man.   My 3 grt grandmother was born in Kirkmabreck and they sailed from Creetown to North Wales.

To add names at the foot of the postings, you need to edit your profile. Click on Profile and then click on 'Rootschat Profile Information' on the left of the screen. At the bottom of your various details you will see a box named ' Resesearch names or areas'. Type your names, etc. in there - max 500 characters. Click on 'Change Profile' at the bottom right and you're away  :)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 March 07 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello again ankerdine  :)

I'm not sure about the Twynholm family. John is given as 30 in 1851 and was (supposedly) 25 when he remarried in 1855. Have you found them on the 1861 and later censuses to give an idea of his age and birthplace?

I see you've got your names up  :)

Regards

Gadget