Author Topic: Creetown Marshalls  (Read 24417 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Creetown Marshalls
« on: Tuesday 06 March 07 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I have found my Marshall ancestors who were tinklers/gypsies living at Creetown Carpet Mill in 1851. Does anyone know what happened to them after that time? They were down as tinsmiths on the census form and were all born in a different location. Any information would be appreciated.
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Creetown Marshalls
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ankerdine

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Could you give a little more information about them, please? For example, names and approx dates of birth and how you traced them to Creetown.

Creetown is in the old parish of Kirkmabreck and on one of the droving route to Ireland. The quarry near by provided much of the stone that was used to build Liverpool docks.

Regards

Gadget

Added - I see that there are quite a crowd  :) Ref - 873 ED 3 Page 19
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Strangely enough I cannot remember how I found these ancestors originally. My husband and I spent several holidays researching around Stranraer and Dumfries in Scotland. The most profitable place though was at The Stewartry Museum in Kirkcudbright. The staff there were delightful and couldn't do enough for us. As usual it was like doing a jigsaw and I just hope that we put the pieces together in the right place.
My gt gt grandmother was a Jane Marshall born in Crosshill or Kirkmichael around 1830.  She married a John Williamson, I think, in Anworth Parish in 1855. I will look up her possible siblings details and post them shortly.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 March 07 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

For information, the family at The Carpet Mill, Creetown in the 1851, Ref given previously are:

Alexander Marshall, 46, tinsmith, b. Withorn Wig
Jane Marshall, 43, tinsmith's wife, b. Kilmaurs, Ayr
Jane, 20, tinsmith's daughter, b. Kirkmichael, Ayr
Alexander, 18, - b. New Luc, Wig
Robert, 13, b. Kilmaurs, Ayr
Elizabeth, 9,  b. Portpatrick, Wig
Sarah, 7, b. Leswalt, Wig
Francis, 4, b. Stonykirk, Wig
Stewart, 1, b. Wigtown, Wig

Your great great grandmother, Jane Marshall was married to John williamson at Gatehouse of Fleet on July 1st 1855, according to the Rituals of the Catholic Chirch marriage (after Banns). As it is 1855, there is far more detail on this certificate  :)

Both are shown as living at Back Fleet Street, Gatehouse. John was 25 and an Ag Lab and a widower and Jane was 23 and a hawker of Japanese Ware (?) and a spinster. John had 2 living children. John was born in Norther Ireland - location and date not known and, as you said, Jane born but not registered 20th August 1831, Kirkmichael, Ayrshire. Jane;'s parents were Alexander Marshall (whitesmith) and Jane, maiden name Marshall.

When you say, what happened to them afterwards, are you looking for information about the whole of the family from census and BMD information or something specific?

As they were tinsmith/travellers it might be worth putting a second query up on the Travelling People Board:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,387.0.html

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 07 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Gadget.
Thanks for the immediate reply. I don' really understand how this website works. Do you research all this information for free just because you are interested in genealogy alone, or what? Whatever, thank you.
You may be interested to learn that whilst my "hubby" and I were in The Stewartry Museum at Kirkcudbright one of the museum attendants offered us some parish records of births, marriages and deaths, which we hadn't seen before. Just before giving up entirely, we found an entry for the birth of twins, Mary and Jane Marshall (twins) born 1852 to Alexander and Jane Marshall. Of course these weren't present in order to be on the 1841 or 1851 census. I would be interested to learn whether any of these Marshall siblings were on the 1861 census and beyond. I do understand that I could approach Scotlandspeople, which I have used before, but it is rather expensive and not always easy to understand.
Dumfries and Galloway is a lovely and unspoilt area. If you have never visited it, it's well worth a trip.
Regards,
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 07 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Most of us do these look ups because we were helped in the past and feel we would like to help others now and for interest/puzzle solving, etc. All look ups on Rootschat are voluntary.  Because my ancestors seem to have come from all over the place, I also have masses of personal resources that would otherwise gather dust.

I'm not having much luck with them on the 1861*- Scotland and Eng & Wales . if you have a sub to Ancestry, they now have the Scottish census indexexes (except 1881 and 1901). Scotlands people is not all that expensive - 1 unit = 20p - thus a search and image costs £1.20. It's best to use wildcards with the initial search, trying to keep the index list to one page.

I have been to Dumfries and Galloway on a number of occasions as  some of my ancestors were from there - see some of the pictures on my website - http://some-ancestors.rootschat.net/html/dumfries_and_galloway.html 

Here's one of Portpatrick:

Gadget  :)

* but see Susan's posting  - I was just going to post  :)

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 07 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ankerdine,

Have found your family in 1861 under the spelling of Marshal with one L.

Alexander age 57 , tinsmith
Jane...age 53
Robert ..age 22..ag labourer
Elizabeth ..age 20..
Sarah..age 18
Francis ..age 14
Stewart...age 11
James ...age 9
Mary...age 7

James and Mary are listed as Twins so one of the transcriptions are wrong...they are either both 9 or 7

They are living at Tinsmiths Cottage, Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire.

Hope this helps,

Susan
Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 March 07 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan
Thank you so much for this information. You have moved me forward quite considerably. This fits in very well as my gt.gt. grandmother, Jane Williamson (nee Marshall) was also living in Stonykirk on the 1881 census, listed as a widow aged 42. I hadn't had sight of the 1861 or 1871 census records before.  I recently found evidence from an Old Parish Register of Kirkmabreck (Kirkcudbright) that twins were born to Alexander and Jane Marshall in July 1852 and that their names were Mary and Jane ??? The mystery deepens.
I like the sound of Tinsmiths Cottage - on both the 1841 and 1851 census the Marshall family were living in "barns", sounds like they moved up in the world!
Thanks once again.
Ankerdine
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline rainbowuk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 07 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ankerdine,

You are welcome. As for the twins, James is probably a  mistranscription, just like the ages...If the writing is poor James and Jane could be easily mixed up.

Will have a look on the 1871 and see if i can find them there and let you know anything i find.

Susan
Flucker, Rutherford, Linton all Newhaven, Leith Scotland
Dixon...North Sheilds and Barrow in Furness
Green...Durham and Barrow in Furness
Duffy...Edinburgh
Mangan...Edinburgh and County Cavan , Ireland
Galligan..Edinburgh and County Cavan, Ireland