Author Topic: Sign the petition re 1911 census  (Read 14419 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Sign the petition re 1911 census
« Reply #99 on: Friday 23 March 07 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I call that a Result for the petition. Chris
Hardly.  They'd already decided to release 1911 early BEFORE the petition was even drafted. ;)

Really? What's your source for that?

Chris

It was reported in the family history magazines before Christmas and so must have been decided at least six months ago.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tracyjgiles

• Sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Friday 23 March 07 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I knew I had read it somewhere just couldnt remembered where

Tracy
New at this.................learning something new everyday...........thanks to Rootschat!
Cooke....Woking, Surrey
Mace....Todenham, Gloucestershire
Granshaw.... Guildford, Surrey
Nolan.............Ireland
Clack...............Filkins, Oxfordshire
Daborn.................Guildford, Surrey
Parry..............St James, London

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Friday 23 March 07 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure it's been reported countless times in this very thread.  At the very least, the National Archives own website (here > http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/1911census/?homepage=news) speaks of the early release.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 24 March 07 07:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure it's been reported countless times in this very thread.  At the very least, the National Archives own website (here > http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/1911census/?homepage=news) speaks of the early release.

Don't know about "countless times" - but I certainly reported it! I'd not seen it in the thread before that (threads since merged so hard to tell). I posted the national archives link as well. But nobody seemed to pick up on the 1909 announcement, so when the email from Mr Tony arrived, I thought I'd mention it again.

For me, the earlier release date (if it happens) is what's so useful. I don't care why the gov't is doing it. Chris

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline mickgall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Albert Gall 1897-1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 24 March 07 09:58 GMT (UK) »
now much of it's going to be available by 2009 (assuming they get their act together).

The Government + act together  ???

Like thats gonna happen :o
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

GALL-Norfolk,Cardiff,LondonTHOMAS-London,Herts,
PRIOR-N.Ireland,WOODS-N.Ieland,
DAWKES-Warks,DAVIS-Warkes'Wales,
JENNINGS-Surrey,Warks,London,SHELDRAKE-Essex,London,
BRITTON-Berks,BLAKELEY-Dewsbury W.Yorks

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday 24 March 07 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Quote From Indaloman
I'm afraid I must disagree, My mother is still alive and on the 1911 census , my father only died last year. ID fraud is bad enough without helping with the 1911 - 1931 censuses helping. You must be joking

I am sure there are lots of 95 year old plus pensioners  who are committing Id Fraud. If any one was going to commit ID fraud it would be easier to order a birth certificate on line, view the 2007 electoral role on line and previous electoral roles to verify address. Not viewing census from 1911/21. the 1931 census was destroyed.
Smeghead
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 25 March 07 08:28 BST (UK) »
What this reply from Downing Street has shown is that they couldn't care less about releasing the census early.  There's not a single thing in their reply we didn't already know, and their reply could have been predicted months in advance.  There's democracy for you...I really question what the point in their petition website really is, since the government does the exact opposite of what every major petition requests. ::)

The petition has actually been very useful.
The final figures of 23590 for early release as opposed to 119 against early release can be used in Freedom of Information applications and appeals to the the Information Commissioner.
By using the petition in this way it is a very effective tool.

The reply from Dowing Street just shows how ignorant of the facts the civil servants/politicians are, though I do note the careful wording did avoid mentioning that the 100 year rule only came into being in 1966.
It should also be remembered at the time these census were taken the average release period was 80 years.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.