Author Topic: Matilda and Martha McLean of Capparanny, Turlough, Co. Mayo emigrated to USA  (Read 6459 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Matilda and Martha McLean of Capparanny, Turlough, Co. Mayo emigrated to USA
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Wm
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Willie08

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matilda and Martha McLean of Capparanny, Turlough, Co. Mayo emigrated to USA
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 05:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you all fir the additional information. Greatly appreciated. I feel one step closer!
Contributer 'Owenewee', you have provided information that Joseph sr's father's name was William. Do you know Joseph's mother's name? Where dud you find William's information?
There is more information on Beckett for sure. Thank you for providing Susan Beckett's parents names and additional information.
I hope to find out if Joseph sr ( son of William and x) had any siblings? That might be a thread that could lead me to hopefully a McLean relative in Ireland.
Any other information is appreciated.
Sheila

Offline Willie08

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 October 17 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you 👍😊

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 October 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
Sheila

From the Rootsireland.ie  subscription site, the marriage of Joseph Mclean and Susan Beckett in 1879 shows the fathers name of both Joseph and Susan. It is not usual that the mother's name appears, although sometimes you can be lucky and the Church Record form has a space for mother name.

Joseph appears to have been a lot older than Susan, 1901 shows him 65yrs, his birth would be around 1835c I cant locate any  birth record or for other siblings.

I found a note  in Irish  Newspaper Sept 1954  Birtie McLean from USA visited his uncle Bob Mclean of Capparany.
Another  find was Bobs family originally came from Scotland but had lived in Turlough for several generations.