Author Topic: William Albert Lawton b1900  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
William Albert Lawton b1900
« on: Thursday 08 March 07 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I wonder whether anyone can help with this one!
William Albert Lawton was married to my Great Aunt Alice (nee Shirley) on 6th April 1921. According to the marriage certificate he was a hospital clerk residing at 3 Connaught Mews, London W2. He was also listed as an army pensioner. His father is shown as William Lawton (deceased) and also an army pensioner.
They had a daughter Joan Alice Minnie Lawton born on 6th August 1921. The birth is registered in Edinburgh so I suspect Alice went to Edinburgh to give birth as that is where William came from.
I know nothing further about William and indeed never met him...he must have died relatively young - I was born in 1953. I do remember meeting his brother George who spoke with a Scottish accent. I can't recall ever meeting George's family (if he had one). However, someone seems to think that some of the family might have gone to Canada or Australia - a youngish couple came over in the mid or late 1960's and left there rucksack in my Aunt's loft after touring the UK.
Does anyone have any information which would allow me to explore this part of my family a little more thoroughly?
Thanks.

Ian
Sturman, Shirley, Pearce, Gilbert, Austin, Pangborn, Hill, Dwight
All from Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Albert Lawton b1900
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 07 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

A bit of a needles and haystacks problem for you  :-\

As a start, I might have found the WW1 medal card of William Albert Lawton here

There is only the one listed and he was Second Lieutenant, Durham Light Infantry. It's worth taking a look.

Do you have any idea whether his brother George was older or younger than him? It might help the search.

Regards

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ian

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 March 07 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that...I knew this one was always going to be tough and I was planning to leave it well alone....but curiosity got the better of me!
William's wife, Alice was an interesting character. When I first started learning French at school, she used to speak to me in French! I was gobsmacked to use the current language as no one else in the family could speak a word of any foreign language!
Many years later, it fell upon me to clear out her effects and discovered that she had worked as a children's nanny in Marsailles and I located her passport (duly stamped "not valid for the zone of the armies" and even her contract. Amongst her possessions was a telegram, "Dad seriously ill, come home at once".
I suspect that William was quite a literate gentleman, stumbled upon some of his writing...he had that rather attractive copperplate writing and I think he might have worked in some clerical capacity in Edinburgh before joining the army. Sorry I am thinking out loud now!!
I have an idea that it was George who was a POW in Germany but I just can't be sure. He was a very quiet, unassuming and generous man who presumably wanted to stay in touch with his niece. None of this helps anyone of course - except me fishing for clues!
Thanks for your help....you just never know, I might drop lucky eventually!  I've posted a message on GenesReunited too...just in case relatives in some foreign land see it!
Ian
Sturman, Shirley, Pearce, Gilbert, Austin, Pangborn, Hill, Dwight
All from Hertfordshire and Buckinghamshire

Offline Wrighter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 October 08 18:32 BST (UK) »
Ian

I think I might have something for you. I was going through some old photo's from my wife Linda's grandmother Gladys Pratt. Her maiden name was Gladys Lawton who came to Welland Ont. from Saskatchewan in about 1944. Her father's name was William A. Lawton, not sure where he was originally from, but I am enclosing a photo of him.  William was born on 1870 and died in 1942. Gladys was born in 1901. If you would like more info please contact me at (*) Thanks

Bob Wright
Welland, Ontario, Canada

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.