Author Topic: Fishing bothy  (Read 6418 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing bothy
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 March 07 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seonaid and welcome to Rootschat,

Would just like to say that you have a fantastic photograph here which records a part of social history (far better than the studio posed ones that I have). Because of the freedom which the photographer has allowed the group to have in the way that they are "posing" I would say that this may well have been an itinerate photographer going from town to town, village to village in the hope to drum up business, and when you think of how many people there are in this photograph it could have been a few bob or two that he picked up from this one photograph. As for a date, well it is very hard to try and attempt to place an accurate one to this study but going by the lad leaning up against the wall of the building (4th figure on the right) and the eldest girl in the picture, I would hazard a guess and say that this was taken from about 1902  to about 1910ish. The soft felt hat with the wide brim that the lad is wearing has the style and form to it that resembles those that were worn by the local yeomanry and it is simular in type and style of that worn during the Boer War period and shortly after. The style of dress of the eldest girl also indicates to me that this picture was taken within the time frame that I have given for it , the top that she has on has really nothing that jumps out at me straight away in the way of dating but as children where dressed as young adults at the time this date line would fit as women would have been dressed in a simular fashion for this period (albeit that they would have had either a hat or shawl on). One other bit that I have picked up on, if this was taken in Scotland (although it could have been taken at any coastal village harbour in the UK) then it was not taken on a Sunday as the central figure is baiting his line by the looks of it and there would have been no work carried out on the sabbath at all (doesn't help with the dating but I thought that I would throw it in anyway).

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 March 07 09:29 GMT (UK) »
it could have been taken at any coastal village harbour in the UK
old rowley
Something says to  me America (don't know what though)

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 March 07 09:36 GMT (UK) »
The name of the picture posted is "Cruden Bay" which is in Scotland. 

Absolutely fantastic photo.  :o :o

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 March 07 09:39 GMT (UK) »
I agree....What a superb picture... 8)...very atmospheric!...I couldn't resist a go!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 March 07 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seonaid,
                  Which one is your GG father Andrew?

Tomkin

Offline pete edwards

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 March 07 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Great Picture,

Just a thought , could them large " baskets " to the left in the photo be  " coracles "

Pete,
Edwards, mainly Cound, Frodesely, Acton Burnell. Pitchford. and surrounding villages, Shropshire, /  Rowe, Cound, / Littlehales, Berrington, Shropshire / Radford, Dublin, /   Maguire, Acton Burnell, /  Rudge, Frodesely, /

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 March 07 13:41 GMT (UK) »
As my first attempt was a waste of time, I've tried something different - a little bit of texture  ::) ::)
Mudge

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 March 07 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought , could them large " baskets " to the left in the photo be  " coracles "

No,

Tomkin ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 March 07 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seonaid,

1 B&W and 1 Sepia type,

Tomkin ;D ;D