Author Topic: Re: Anglo Boer War Register  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anglo Boer War Register
« on: Sunday 21 October 07 12:27 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,219683.0.html

Looks useful ... except that with a common name, you can find dozens of them, and to buy the service record at £10 a name, is rather expensive.  If there was a way of checking online that it was the right man, I'd be more than willing to pay up !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 07 12:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Neil. Could be useful - I'm tracing OH's family's journey from Ireland to S Africa at the moment. I know he went there to fight in the war.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 07 12:37 BST (UK) »
In the pictures I've seen of your OH, he certainly doesn't look about 140 years old !   
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 October 07 12:39 BST (UK) »
Looks good for his age... ::)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 October 07 14:21 BST (UK) »
It looks good, but as Lydart said quite expensive.  I might have found one of my g.uncles on the register, but I'll wait until I get his attestation papers for WWI to see if he had enlisted previously, before paying for a record that may not be his.

Liz

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 October 07 17:27 BST (UK) »
Ahhh ... do attestation papers for WW1 record what the man did in the Boer War ?  If so, where does one find them ?  I have the papers for my grandfathers leaving the army in 1919 ... and as he was about 38 then, he may well have been in the Boer War, especially as in the family box of 'treasures' I've got some S. Africa badges ... I'll look them out and post on here later ...

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 October 07 17:38 BST (UK) »
Lydart

I don't know really, my grandfather joined the army in 1901 and his papers show he went to S.Africa after the end of the Boer War, even though he then left the army in 1906 and didn't serve again.  I just thought that maybe, if someone joined the army before or even during the Boer war, it would be recorded.  It is recorded on my g.uncle's papers, that he went to S.Africa just after the Boer War and left the army in 1913, then rejoined in 1914 for WWI.

Liz

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 November 07 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I thought when I saw this, og great, perhaps I can find my paternal grandfather, however, there are 36 names same as his.
I wouldnot begrudge paying £10 to obtain his ecord, but, how do I know which one is his! could be a very costly rdxercise tp track him down, especially as I do not have a clue what branch of the army he was in.

He lived in Greenock Scotland, so I am assuming he woujld have been in a Scottish regiment, in 1901 his wife said on the census that he was a reservist, and as he was missing, I assume he was away fighting in the Boer war, he did not die there, he died at home in 1913.

So how on earth do I trace what branch of the army he was in to have become a reservist???

I`m afraid being an OAP I`m too hard up to pay out a lot of money on a site that may or may not have any details of him,. So, I guess I`ll just have to keep on searching in the hope that one day he will turn up!
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)