Author Topic: A long shot this one... 1841/51  (Read 2904 times)

Offline F.H.

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
A long shot this one... 1841/51
« on: Saturday 10 March 07 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello all.

As I say, this is a long shot, this one is. (if that makes sense)   ???

If any one out there has access to the 1841 and 1851 censuses, i wondered if they could look up the name of HEINS for me.

My relatives came over from Germany in the early 1800s, Bruttendorf, Zeven area of Hanover.

I realize that I am asking a lot as I am not specifying an area...
My direct relative was Johann Heins b1828 (Hanover) who changed his name to Frederick,. He was a "sugar refiner" and when he married, he was living in Middlesex, Stepney, Mile End, Whitechaple area's etc.
They were a large family in Germany, one brother arrived in Liverpool and this surname is/was, also in Wales.

I suppose that I am hoping that you will find "umpteen HEINS's from Germany" in the census's, then I can "sift thro" them.   :o

Any help would be appreciated, if this is an impossible task please let me know.   :-\

Many thanks,
Fred.
 :)
Heins, Fedde, Davis, Amor, Sharp, Sutton, Snelling.
West Ham, Middlesex, London, Romford, Ilford, Manor park.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A long shot this one... 1841/51
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 07 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred

There are more HEINS than you might imagine!  Given that the name might also be mis-spelt there would be hundreds.

It would be much easier if you specified who you are looking for and on which census.  Do you have Johann/ Frederick on the earlier censuses?  When did he marry?  Do yo have his brother?

I am sure we will try to help, if you can narrow down the search a little.  Might be best to post for one or two specific individuals at a time.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline F.H.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 07 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi arronroots.    :)

I did think this... but I don't know which census to advise.

In Hanover,Germany at around 1800 to 1820 ish, I have all the info for the mother and father, ie names, places of birth, ages, where they lived and occupations etc.

I have all of there 8 children's names, date of births etc.

I also have my direct relative Johann Friedrich HEINS (Frederick) just after he came to England around 1845/50ish (he was a sugar baker) in London. He went on to marry Emma Martha DAVIS in London in 1854.

It was his brothers and sisters, mother and father that I was hoping to find.

I do know that one or two of the siblings went off to the USA and stayed there.

The parents were Johann and Anna HEINS (nee HOOPS). Johann was born 1797, Bruttendorf, Hanover Kingdom. Anna was born 1794, Oldendorf, Hanover kingdom.

Children as follows all born Bruttendorf. Hanover.
Johann born 1819.
Anna Maria b 1821.
Claus b 1824.
Gesche b 1826.
Johann Friedrich (my gg grandfather, Frederick) b 1828.
Hinrich b 1831.
Anna Margaretha b 1834. 
Gesche Catharina b 1837.

Claus is the brother who I believe came to Liverpool and married Anna Dittman in 1855, they had two children here and went to the USA and had there third son over there.

Gesche Catharina married Albert Ropers in 1859 in Zeven, Germany and went off to Nebraska, USA.

It is the rest of the family, I just cannot find them......   :o

I hope this helps a little. please let me know.    ::)

Many thanks,
Fred.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 07 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred

This could take a while...  :)

for starters though...

1851 census   HO107/1546/147/30

Cla HEINS lodger U 25 - labourer - Hanover

Address: 56 Leman? St, Goodman's Fields, Whitechapel

The name could be Claus, at any rate he is male. The head of house is called OTTEN and is a sugar boiler from Hanover.  There are a lot of lodgers from Hanover in the house.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 March 07 13:09 GMT (UK) »
1851 also shows a George b 1813 Hanover, who is a pianoforte maker, married to Catherine, in St Pancras - could he be yours?

HO107; Piece: 1496; Folio: 1047; Page: 7

There are several from Hope Darmsbadt, but I have no idea where that is!?!

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 March 07 13:24 GMT (UK) »
There is a sugar connection here

1841 census HO107/697/6/43/28

Gonsh? HINCK 35 - sugar refiner - Foreign Parts
Rachael 27 N
Jane 5 ?
Anna Maria 3 ?
Chas 6 months ?

Cannot read where the children were born - it is v feint

Address: Hungerford St, St George, Middlesex

(There are other HINCKs who are sugar bakers etc, so maybe this is not a mistranscription of HEINS)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 March 07 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Another for you collection!

1841 census HO107/716/7/5/2

John HENYES 25 - sugar refiner - foreign parts
Sarah 25 Y
Gescha 4? Y

Mansell St, Goodman's Fields, Whitechapel

;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 March 07 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I don;t know whether you have this one?

1861 census

John HEINES loger U 24 - sugar refiner (ie sugar baker) - Hanover
Henry HEINES lodger U 20 - do - do

Address: 8 Artichoke Hill, St George in the East, Middlesex

Offline F.H.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arronroots.

Thank you for the info.  ;) ;)

I'm pretty sure that the Claus HEINS is correct as the ages and dates are about right. But the John HEINES and Henry HEINES, although the age difference between the brothers is correct they appear to be 10 years late...

After searching thro the family name from 1828 to present date, the main spellings that I have found are,
HEINS (correct way / original way)
HEINES (variation)
HINDS (variation)
HINES (my way, through error)
Funnily enough, haven't found any in the family spelt with a " Z " yet.   ::)

In olden Germany, the way the name was spelt depicted the area where you came from... HEINS was more north western. An area now called "Neidersachen" (Lower Saxony).

I think this is going to be a long hard slog this one, but once again Arronroots, thank you for the help.  :-\ :-\

Regards,
Fred
 :)