Author Topic: RISK Surname - Mainly Stirling, Dunbarton, Renfrew & Lanark.  (Read 52183 times)

Offline geniegal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RISK Surname - Mainly Stirling, Dunbarton, Renfrew & Lanark.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 August 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Coline
re Risk family Stirlingshire. Am related to the family who had Drumbrae farm near  Bridge of Allan
James and Mary They had no children and I believe moved into the town when they sold off the farm and land.    any connection

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 August 09 22:11 BST (UK) »
Let me know if you come across any who moved to Ireland, especially Dublin.  There seem to have been very few in Ireland and those that were there, mainly in the North.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 August 09 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi - Have a William Risk born 1796 St Ninians Stirlingshire.
He married Elizabeth Hall (my line) in 1836 at Alloa they had the following children.
Jane Malcolm Risk 1837, Elizabeth Hall Risk 1839, Margaret Lapsle Risk 1841, Mary Paterson Risk 1842, John Alexander Risk 1844.
All born Alloa.

Have no further info for William but interest revived  ;D so will go back and have another look.

All the childrens second names (apart from Lapsle) are family names, its getting it altogether that's the problem.  ???

Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 August 09 13:07 BST (UK) »
There is a stone in St. Ninian's Old Churchyard:

1823   John Risk and Margaret Lapslie

1823 Could mean the date the couple bought the plot, the date of death of one of their children or the date of death of either one of them.

They would be man and wife - women are normally always listed by their maiden name.

Anne

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 29 August 09 01:21 BST (UK) »
Found a marriage for John Risk and Margaret Lapslie 23 Oct 1796 St Ninians.

It's getting it all together that's the problem  ???

As always patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 August 09 01:45 BST (UK) »
If anyone interested  ;D here is what I have up to date.

Jane malcolm Risk 1837 married James Morton 1861 Alloa, she died 1896 Falkirk.

John Alexander risk 1844 Alloa.
Married Agnes F Galloway and had three children.
2nd marriage Isabella Smart Ferrier and had five children.
1881 he is Procurator at Cathcart Renfrew.
Cannot find him in the 1891.
1901 He is a writer ? living at 2 Cobden Place Cathcart.

William Risk 1796 St Ninians died Alloa 1851, parents John Risk and Mary Paterson (still checking this out)
Married Elizabeth Hall 1836, she was born 1805 Clackmannan and died in 1865 Alloa.

Still working on Elizabeth, Margaret and Mary.

???  ::)

Regards Patvp

Offline Coline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 30 August 09 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi All Risk Researchers.
William Risk married Elizabeth Hall 4 June 1836 in Alloa, Clackmannan, SCT.
Elizabeth Hall Risk d, 8 November 1918 in Glasgow.
Mary Paterson Risk d. 21 December 1876 in Glasgow. Mary m. James Risk in Edinburgh in 1870. They had 3 children: Elizabeth Hall Risk, b. 1872, and James Risk b. 1873 - both in Glasgow; and Mary Risk b. 1875 in Larbert, Stirling, d. 1876 in Larbert.
I don't have anything further on James b. 1873.
James Risk who married Mary Risk was a son of James Risk and Elizabeth Brown. This James was a son of John Risk and Margaret Lapslie.
Hope this fills in some gaps.
Coline.

Offline Coline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 30 August 09 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Coline
re Risk family Stirlingshire. Am related to the family who had Drumbrae farm near  Bridge of Allan
James and Mary They had no children and I believe moved into the town when they sold off the farm and land.    any connection

Are we talking about James Risk, son of Robert Risk and Janet Christie? If so, yes, we do have a connection.
This James Risk is my 3rd cousin 2x removed - rather distant I know, but further back we must connect. Please contact me for more details.
Coline.

Offline geniegal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 30 August 09 17:32 BST (UK) »
Message for Coline re Risk family Drumbrae. Yes James father was Robert and mother Janet Christie. However my connection is through Mary risk his wife. My grandmother their niece was left with them when her parents Mary's brother and sister-in-law moved to Canada. Robert Risk's
parents were James Risk and Mary Buchanan. Interested in trying to identify a photo which may be of James and Mary
Also have the last will of James Risk