Author Topic: RISK Surname - Mainly Stirling, Dunbarton, Renfrew & Lanark.  (Read 52180 times)

Offline James C McVittie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RISK Surname - Mainly Stirling, Dunbarton, Renfrew & Lanark.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 January 09 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Coline,
It has been some time since there has been any activity with your discussion but I'm hoping you still dip into this forum every so often. If not I will try and find you somewhere else on the site.
I too am keen to find out more about the Risk family you seek. I am the great grandson of James Risk of Bankier in sterling and want to put together a family tree of the Risk family. James was a Whisky Distiller running the family owned Bankier Distillery, Denny until he sold it to what went on to become Distillers and now Diagio in 1925.  He married Violet Kennedy of Edinburgh and had four daughters :
Kathleen Risk who married a Dane called Plesner, Elsa Risk who married Bramwell, Jean Kennedy Risk who married Andrew L'Estrange Brownlow and Hester Knox Risk who married Robert William Kennard.
Any information or tree that you can help me with on this side of the family would be wonderful.
I look forward to hopefully hearing from in due course,
James McVittie

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 January 09 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello James,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Rootschat!  :)

If you have a look at my reply to Coline's original post  (reply No. 1, above), the information transcribed from the Gravestone in Denny looks as though it refers to the same Risk family. I don't know what the connection with your Risk family will be, but I imagine that because the stone says 'The Burial Ground of JAMES RISK of Bankier' there must be a connection. Different generation perhaps?

The attached photo is the same one referred to above.

Anne

Offline Coline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 January 09 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello James,
Good to hear from you and yes, I would love to compare "Risk" notes with you. We share Great-Grandparents - many generations back, of James Risk and Janet Harvie of Cashley, Buchlyvie. There was Whisky distilling in the Risk family even then as there once was a distillery on Cashley Farm.
Kathleen is the only child I had for James and Violet so you helped me already. I have quite a lot of information on the earlier generations of this family and would be very happy to share this.
It is ages since I have had contact from this site and have forgotten how I go about passing on my personal email. I'll add it here and hope you get it, otherwise just reply through this site.

Many thanks for your contact and I look forward to more,
Coline Murphy.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 January 09 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coline,

Long time no see!
I guess they haven't found the missing Buchlyvie volume yet  :'(

Here's a little snippet about Bankier which, no doubt, all have already seen.

"12. Bankier (Lowland).
Originally a corn mill it was converted and founded as a malt whisky distillery 1828 by Daniel MacFarlane. In 1878 it was acquired by James Risk and by James Buchanan in 1903. It was passed over to DCL in 1925 who closed it in 1928 but used the maltings until 1971 and the warehouses until the late 1980's. It was located in Denny of Stirlingshire. With 1 wash and 2 spirit Pot stills and 5/12.000 gallon washbacks it had an annual production of 150.000 gallons. Water was drawn from Droups Stream. Last buildings demolished in 1990. Visited by Alfred Barnard, 1887. (Collector 1). "
http://www.buxrud.se/lost.htm

And a lengthy story at:
http://www.peatfreak.com/alfred-barnard-bankier.php

And other references ...

The moderators on RC prefer email addresses to be swapped by PM ...

All the best,

JAP (Judy Philip)

Offline Coline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 January 09 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy,
Great to hear from you. Yes, I am still here but have been side-tracked in Co. Antrim for the last 2 yrs, including a visit there last May. That line seems to have settled for a while and I'm glad to catch up on my Scottish side. It is a shame about the missing Buchlyvie records - could fill in quite a few gaps.

Thanks for the links for Bankier. I'll have a look at them tomorrow.

Hope you are coping with the heat in Adelaide. We moved to Buderim on the Sunshine Coast 2 yrs ago, so we don't get the extreme temperatures but the humidity is awful.

Thanks for the hint about email addresses - my memory is getting clogged!

Best wishes,
Coline.

Offline James C McVittie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 February 09 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Coline,
your documents are just what the doctor ordered. I have passed the details on to my uncle Claude Brownlow who will try and put some more faces to names and add any more info he can remember anything that is nudged by your details.
I am also trying to contact the decendants of Hester Knox Kennard who I understand might have more info to add that was recorded and researched by Hester when she was alive . I will keep you informed with any updates as I go. I hope you found the info I sent just as interesting.

Anne , thank you for the photo of the head stone, so nice o see something physical and solid as a connection to the forefathers and mothers and that will provide information and history to future generations.

I look forward to keeping in touch,
James McV

ps Coline you mentioned we shared a relation, which one in the family is your connection?

Offline LittleMsR

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi  ;D
I am a..RISK...born in Falkirk but now living in Clacks !
I would love to share/swap any info on the...RISKS ..I have just recently started taking a serious interest in it all !!

;)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello LittleMsR,

Welcome to RootsChat!

RootsChatters are only too eager to help.

Perhaps you might like to post with information about how far back you have managed to get to date?

The more information RootsChatters have, the easier it is to help.

Best of luck with your research,

JAP

Offline Coline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello LittleMsR,
I would be interested to share information with you as I have quite a large collection from Falkirk.
Please post what line you are connected to and hopefully we can help each other.
Regards,
Coline.