Author Topic: Williamson Stranraer  (Read 4159 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Williamson Stranraer
« on: Saturday 10 March 07 22:01 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother's birth certificate states: Helen Mann Williamson born 1883 to Jane Williamson (mother) illegitimate. Can anyone suggest what the MANN might mean?
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Williamson Stranraer
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 March 07 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi  there

It could very well be the surname of the child's father. This was a fairly  common practice. Sometimes the mother went on to marry the father and the child then used the registered middle name as the Surname.

Or it could be  the maiden surname of the mother's mother, etc - a family name carried down.

Have you found Helen and her mother on the 1891 Census? Or Jane's background to try find the MANN surname coming in her way?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Re: Williamson Stranraer
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 07 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I thought it could have been the father's name. That names does not occur in Jane's family before this time. My grandmother's sister, Mary, born 1880 was also down as illegitimate on her birth certificate but no middle name was mentioned.
Jane had moved to Staffordshire on the 1891 census and all the family then have the surname Blair. She presumably married my gt. grandfather somewhere along the line and he must have cared for the family.
Do you know anything about the Poor Relief in Stranraer at this time and whether it is recorded anywhere please?
Regards
Ankerdine
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire