Author Topic: Kingston Census lookup for Day, please ?  (Read 4292 times)

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kingston Census lookup for Day, please ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 March 07 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again, Sue!

I'm guessing that given the fact that they are both marked down as being 60 yrs of age and from Kingston, unless it is the wrong couple, that  the info was just someone elses best guess!
Thank you too for the death info. I'm think it likely that William's was:  March quarter 1886 
DAY  William  83  Kingston  2a 239

cheers,
ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 March 07 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Henry being the only child. In 1841 William and Sarah were in their thirties, so its quite possible that they had older children who had already left home.

I can't find a marriage for Henry and Jane and as from the 1861, Henry was in the militia, I suppose they could have married abroad. You may have to look for an army marriage.

::) ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 March 07 20:33 GMT (UK) »
That's a good idea (looking at army marriages) Also, since Jane is from Hounslow, it's possible they married in Middlesex (though her first children, William and Sarah seem to have been born in Kingston.)

checking out the IGI, I think William may be the child of a John and Mary with other possible siblings:
1-CHARLES DAY Christening: 25 JAN 1795
2- ELEANOR DAY - Christening: 14 NOV 1798
3- JOHN DAY Christening: 05 APR 1801
4- JAMES DAYChristening: 11 NOV 1804
5- RICHARD DAY - Christening: 09 NOV 1806

Though likely elderly, it's still possible that John and Mary could be alive in 1841 - I was wondering if they show up in that census? If Charles was their first child, they could conceivably have been born in the 1770s...

A lot of guessing but who knows!

ard
CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 March 07 20:41 GMT (UK) »
There are these in Kingston in 1841

HO 107/1075/4
Folio 13, Page 19
Surbiton

DAY
John - 40 - lab.
Charlotte - 35
William - 16
Mary - 15
Harriett - 13
Richard - 11
Thomas - 9
Elizabeth - 7
John - 5
Charles - 2

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 March 07 20:44 GMT (UK) »

HO 107/1075/3  -  Kingston
Folio 46, Page 15
Heathen Street - MB

DAY
John - 65 - farmer j.
Mary - 65

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 March 07 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Wow that was quick!
That would certainly fit  John, potential brother of William.
Charlotte seems to be a well used name for the Days, perhaps this Charlotte was well liked by all!

ard

Oh just got the other one. Yes, these seem very likely. Age 65 (even if rounded off for 1841, puts them in the running. Too bad 1841 has so little info!

ard

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 March 07 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I just stumbled upon an interesting resource (I've also posted it in Surrey resources):
a database contains the following records:
Census records for Kingston Upon Thames Census Area - 1851 to 1891
Bonner Hill Cemetery Burial Registers - 1855 to 1911
Kingston Parish Burial Registers - 1850 to 1901
Kingston Parish Marriage Registers - 1850 to 1901

http://localhistory.kingston.ac.uk/db_forms/LocalHistoryForm.asp

According to this information, Henry married Jane DEWEY in 1856, so perhaps Sarah and William were his children after all (census error/ wild goose chase?) they married at  St Peters, Norbiton.

I was also able to find John again in 1881 - making it even more likely that he and William were brothers - they were both living at Mill Place.

THanks again for all your help!
ard

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 20:42 GMT (UK) »
So the Mary DAVEY born Hounslow in the 1861 census, who is a visitor, must be a relative. DAVEY or DEWEY.

;D

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Ah... I never thought of that; it could be that indeed! Another thing to check out, thanks!
Ard