Author Topic: COMPLETED - with thanks finding German relations  (Read 12713 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: finding German relations
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Herman Carl Richter / Herman Charles Richter .... not a bad match!

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Rena, for that link.  It enabled me to access a record that I had known about, thanks to another rootschatter, but been unable to view previously.
Wondering if anyone has ever received one of these Auswanderer files from Niedersachsen, and, if so, did it tell you anything that isn't in the index?  The index info on mine is relatively scant, so don't want to invest if I won't be any further ahead, as it's expensive to hire someone to do lookups there.
Also, another q related to this record:  Under the person's name there are various points of information, which are numbered.  In the RICHTER case above, they are #1,3,7,10.  On my record of interest, they are 1,5,7,8.  Is there somewhere where it tells us what these numbers refer to precisely?  #7 seems to refer to destination.
(Hopefully the answer to this will be of interest to bridgy.)
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline bridgy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys
I believe my Herman Charles was born in Bernau, Prussia.
Don't believe he was in WW1 .  He would have been too old - born in 1855.  His son did serve though.
Do not have a death cert unfortunately.
Thank you all so much for your leads. Rina just had a quick look at your site but it's in German and can't see where to convert it to English.  thanks anyway.
Ruskie, if you can find out anything from the Qld Archives I'll send you a big hug and kiss - via a post that is.  Thank you so much for trying.
To you all you are the best.  Why belong to any other than RootChat?
Regards
Jan
Rossiter, Waldron (Kildare), Kelly, Cox, Dollar (Co Armagh), Bridges, Bennett, Hodgson (Bedfordshire), Roberts (Liverpool), Peirce, Tutton (Somerset), Goodwin, Tomlinson (Lancashire), Lovell ( Midlothian)
Rossiter, Kelly, Bridges, Roberts, Goodwin (Australia)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Jan,

A few questions for you if you don't mind:

What makes you think Herman was born in Prussia? Do you have additional information?

What is Herman's sons name? (the one who served in WW1) - do you know where and when he died?

There are many sites which you can use to translate from one language to another - I think if you just type  something like "online translator" into google, many will come up. You usually can only translate a certain number of words at a time, but you can do this in batches. Some translators seem to be better than others, so you might like to have a fiddle around to find one which suits.

If you know Herman's date of death you should be able to buy his death cert - it might be worthwhile ... if he was in the asylum he probably didn't have a will, but I will check when I go to the archives (death certificates are often included with wills, which is fantastic!) - I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you though.

Have you googled Dunwich Benevolent Asylum? There's a fair bit of information about it. Quite interesting.

Do you know when Herman's wife Elizabeth died? Perhaps she left a will? If you can give me a date and place I will look for you.

Looking forward to finding more about Herman!

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I have always found Babelfish to be Ok at Translating:

http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/babelfish/tr
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bridgy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 22 March 07 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ruskie

What makes you think Herman was born in Prussia? Do you have additional information?
The bit about Bernau, Prussia came from the Bethania web site - address
http://home.wanadoo.nl/wouter.busnach/familypages/index.htm#TOC
However, it was on there that had the wrong mother so maybe the birthplace was wrong.  But on his marriage cert it gives his birthplace as Bonner (sp?), Berlin, Prussia so it looks as if he was born somewhere in Prussia.
What is Herman's sons name? (the one who served in WW1) - do you know where and when he died?
Son # 1 - Robert Gustave b. 1888 (Ravenswood) d. 1947 (B'Bane).  Info on death from Qld BDM.
Son # 2 - Edward Thomas b. 1895 (Ravenswood), d. 1954 (Ayr). Info QLD BDM. Edward (Ted) served in the 11th Light Horse.
There was a third son b 1904 who only lived 4 months but it is thought that this child was his eldest daughters not his.
If you know Herman's date of death you should be able to buy his death cert.  Have just got around to affording  his marriage cert.  This is next on the list.
Have you googled Dunwich Benevolent Asylum? There's a fair bit of information about it. Quite interesting.     Yes, and yes it is very interesting. 
Do you know when Herman's wife Elizabeth died? Perhaps she left a will? If you can give me a date and place I will look for you.  Elizabeth Caroline RICHTER (nee Roberts) died 9/10/1913 in Ayr, Nth Qld.  Was buried in the Ayr Cemetery – grave # 233 – as Richter, contrary to what I told you about her signing my grandmothers marriage cert as Roberts. Leads me to believe that she and Herman were not divorced but one never knows with my family!! Don't know about the will. Sorry.
Looking forward to finding more about Herman!   You and me both!!
Can't thank you enough for your help in this.

Pegasuss,
Thanks for this.  Will give it a go.

Regards to you both
Jan
Rossiter, Waldron (Kildare), Kelly, Cox, Dollar (Co Armagh), Bridges, Bennett, Hodgson (Bedfordshire), Roberts (Liverpool), Peirce, Tutton (Somerset), Goodwin, Tomlinson (Lancashire), Lovell ( Midlothian)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 22 March 07 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info Jan - I'll see if I can find any wills or intestacies.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 22 March 07 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Went back to Australian National Archives site.
Herman Carl Richter born Redsburg Germany age 27 in 1915 enlisted 2 Aug.1915 and discharged 16th Aug.1915- reason for discharge- Enemy Nationality (had said on enlistment form that he was naturalised). The reason I'd mentioned him before was that I thought he might have been related.
However, did find Robert Murray Richter, service #QX21561, born 11 Oct.1920 Ayr Qld, enlisted (WWII) Brisbane.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bridgy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 22 March 07 23:26 GMT (UK) »
However, did find Robert Murray Richter, service #QX21561, born 11 Oct.1920 Ayr Qld, enlisted (WWII) Brisbane.

:D
Hello aghadowey
Thank you so much for this.  He should be one of mine you would think but have to investigate further.  Thank you so much for your help.
Will get back to you later.
Regards
Jan