Author Topic: John MILLINGTON of East Bridgford  (Read 6014 times)

Offline langarlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John MILLINGTON of East Bridgford
« on: Monday 12 March 07 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I've got my Millington line back to John Millington, a "sutor" (cobbler), of East Bridgeford, born c 1697, who married Mary Stone 12 Oct 1719 in St Peter's Nottingham and was buried in East Bridgford 19 Dec 1741.  Try as I might I can't find anything else about him - and I've been trying for years!  Is there anyone out there who can help?

Offline rgt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John MILLINGTON of East Bridgford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 07 14:56 BST (UK) »
I don't think I can help in your request, but possibly you can help me - I have a John Millington born 1721, died Nov 5, 1771, of "Bridgford, Nottinghamshire" - could he be your John's son?? My John is my 4th great grandfather. I have no record of his wife, or of his parents, but I have a record of 6 children.

I'm Canadian and am planning on a brief visit to East Bridgford in late May.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Online carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 07 15:34 BST (UK) »

Just a thought, you may already know of it, there is a one- name study for Millington. The website is www.millington-archive.org.uk.

Caro

Offline rgt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 07 19:57 BST (UK) »
To "Carom" - thanks for your suggestion - I was not aware of the Millington site - unfortunately, didn't find a lot of use on any East Bridgford Millingtons. - but thanks anyways!

Offline langarlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Canadian cousin!!  Yes, "your" John Millington was the son of "my" John Millington.  "My" John married Mar Stone in St Peter's Nottingham on 12 Oct 1719.  Their son - "your" John, was baptised in East Bridgford Church 17 April 1722.  He was a taylor and a fisherman.  He married Mary Alwood 3 Dec 1747 in Lowdham Church, Nottinghamshire.  I have a copy of his will!  He was buried in East Bridgford churchyard on 7 Nov 1771.  He is my 4xgreat grandfather too!  So I guess that makes us related.  He had, in fact 16 (!!) children, of whom at least 6 died in infancy.

How does your line trace back to him?  Was it one of his children who went out to Canada, or a later generation?  I have a lot of information about East Bridgford Millingtons if you are interested.  What dates are you here in the UK?

Offline rgt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 14:26 BST (UK) »
Now this is getting interesting!

As to our travel plans, we will be in the East Bridgford area May 28 to May 30. (we leave Canada May 9 for Africa).
Would be most interested in exchanging information on the East Bridgford Millingtons, although I don't have very much except bare facts.

As to lineage, my second great grandfather, Richard Taylor (a Wesleyan Methodist minister), believed to be from Sheffield, married Mary Millington (b. 1797, East Bridgford) Dec 12, 1823 in East Bridgford. They (with +/- 11 children, most or all of whom were born in East Bridgford) emigrated to Canada in 1842, (source: Josiah Taylor found in: Passenger and Immigration Lists: New York, 1820-1850 Age: 11 Gender: U Port of Departure: Bristol Family Identification: 30104190 Ship Name: Orlando Port of Arrival: New York Date of Arrival: Oct 13, 1842 Microfilm Serial Number: M237 Microfilm Roll Number: 50 - Josiah was a son of Richard and Mary)

Mary was the daughter of William Millington (b. 1751) and Martha Marriott (b. abt 1757)

William was the son of "my" John Millington.

Mary's oldest brother John (b. Jul 16, 1784) also emigrated to Canada, although it appears not all of his children came with him.

I'm new to RootsChat - how do we exchange e-mail addresses without sharing with the world?

Offline knesbitt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 June 07 22:32 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was Frank Millington and I have also traced my Millington family back to John Millington of East Bridgford b. about 1697; married Mary Stone. Their son John married Mary Alwood (fascinating that you have a copy of his will; how did you get that?) and their son another John married Mary Clay. William born to them on 19/02/1794 is my 3x great grandfather. He married Catherine Wilson on 28/05/1818.
I would be very interested in the information you have about our Millington family. I'm off to visit East Bridgford for the first time this weekend.

Offline langarlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 July 07 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi knesbitt
The pair we have in common are John M and Mary Alwood.  They had, three years after "your" John b 1748 was born, a son William (1751-1830).  He married Martha Marriott.  They had a son William who married Sarah Towe.  Their son Mark married Elizabeth Ann Wall.  Thie daughter Sarah Jane Millington was my grandmother.  So that makes me the same generation as your father!  All I know about your grandfather Frank is that he was born in Grantham in 1893.  I'd love any info you can give me about him, his marriage, his family and yourself.  Any chance of a copy of John Joseph's photo?  I copied the will in Nottinghamshire Records Office.  Do you subscribe to Genes Reunited?  If so there's all my tree there and I could open it up to you.  If not, if you let me have your email address I could GEDCOM it direct to you.

Offline PamelaGrace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 December 11 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
My mum and I are also your cousins! We are from New Zealand and are related through William Mark Millington (married to Eliza Marriott) the son of Mark Millington and Elizabeth Ann Wall. William Mark and Eliza emigrated to New Zealand and had 7 children.
We were wondering if you had found any information about John Millington since you posted your messages? Unfortunately we can't help you with information about John, though we could tell you about William Mark and family.
Thanks