Author Topic: Coachman Groom Licence  (Read 2602 times)

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Coachman Groom Licence
« on: Tuesday 13 March 07 00:13 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was a coachman groom in Brixham around 1900 - does anyone know if he would have needed a licence or permit of any kind ?  He was probably an employee and not the owner of the business.  Any ideas would be appreciated.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coachman Groom Licence
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 12:18 GMT (UK) »
If he was plying for hire, ie driving a taxi cab, or driving an omnibus he might well have had to have a licence; search the TNA catalogue for Public Carriage Office, there are lots of records under that heading.

If he was only working as a private driver, to a wealthy household for example, then my guess (and that's all it is) would be no. Driving licences for cars were not required until the late 1920s or early 1930s (I think) and tests were not introduced until 1934 so I would think that private carriage drivers would not have needed one - I'm not sure that a licence to drive a carriage on a public road is even needed today. For example, the DfT website contains the following:
The Road Driving Assessment
This test is the recommended minimum competence for driving horses/ponies and vehicles carrying paying passengers on the public highway. The assessment is not a compulsory requirement for those wishing to drive horses but may be required if an operator wants to receive a local authority licence to operate a passenger carrying service.

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Dear Colin
Thanks for that - I will take a look at the TNA.
Yes it was a hire cab - horse drawn and he used to carry the gentry to functions etc from Brixham to Torquay and Paignton.
Thought you might like to see a photo of Sam in action
Thank you
Carol

Moderator comment: photo resized for easier viewing
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline colinjohn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 March 07 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol

Slightly red face I'm afraid; I misread your first post as referring to BRIXTON (London), not Brixham. I think that you'll find the the Public Carriage Office records at TNA refer only to the Metropolitan Police area. Try the Devon Record Office instead.

Colin
I am sorry but my emails are no longer working

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 March 07 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help Colin. I did take a look at the TNA and thought it did refer to the MetroP District. I will take a look at the Devon Records Office as you suggest and hope to be visiting the area sometime this Spring.  I am now trying to find out  a bit about the carriage itself - I think it may be a 'Brougham' and would have been known as a 'Hackney'(public passenger carrying) and apparently they were nicknamed 'growlers' - I wonder why? All this new terminology ! Apparently they were often purchased second hand and therefore had often seen better days.  We think the wall behind is in Brixham more or less opposite the Brixham Heritage Museum.
Anyway, thanks for your help it is appreciated.
Carol
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY