Author Topic: Census lookups please!?!  (Read 21320 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookups please!?!
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 24 March 07 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Don

Just in case you are wondering why you have a cool smiley coming  up on your Urquhart entry, I think it sometimes comes up in error when you type in No.8...nothing you've done  ;) 8)

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 24 March 07 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Not all Macleans though, Don, some where at the far end of Polbain and  in Achduart

Yup! and a crop on Tanera.... but Altandhu is a good bet to start in most cases...

I recently completed transcription of the 1825 Lochbroom Militia List,... MacLeans were fourth most common in the Parish over all;

Donald.

It's slightly different now mind. i think the McLeods have it  :D

I might just do a count for you in the next few days  :D

I did my thesis on one of Matthew's Mclean relatives.  ;)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 25 March 07 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Wow!

I might just do a count for you in the next few days 

I did my thesis on one of Matthew's Mclean relatives. 

Both would be of great interest, always looking for more fodder for the webpage (nudge nudge)

Donald MacDonald-Ross, son of Donald MacDonald-Ross, son of Ross MacDonald Ross, son of Chirsty MacDonald, daughter of Elizabeth MacLeod, daughter of Margaret MacLean (born 1777-1781), who lived at Reiff
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 25 March 07 10:40 BST (UK) »
I could give you a quick analysis of the local telephone directory but I'd rather do a count from the latest electoral roll which is at the Post office. The problem is that I'm transportless for a week and the Post Office is 3 miles away  :( i'll get it done as soon as possible  :)

Regarding the Macleans. I did my research on one of Scotland's foremost living artists - a history painter/sculptor. A large part of his work concerns the history of his family and of the Highlands - Clearance, myths, etc.  He has some public artworks on Lewis and is currently finishing one for Sabhal Mor Ostaig (the Gaelic College on Skye). He has built a small house on the site of his grandfather's.  He's related to the Altandhu Macleans. I can let you have some references, etc. E-mail me if you are interested  :)

Did you know that the Macleans were cleared to Tanera? Apparently, they had houses along the old Peat Road that runs from the south side of Polbain (Blair) over to near Achnahaird. Either the Sutherlands or their Factors' wife  didn't like them being able to see her in her garden from their houses so they were moved over to Tanera. They eventually moved back to Polbain/Altandhu.  It's the only real eviction here. The others were all thwarted - lots of stories in The Cromarty Papers, etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 25 March 07 17:22 BST (UK) »
This is facinating stuff, thanks for the census Donald, appreciated. Ive had a few days off the genealogy but back on it now! Addictive like nobody's business!
On the census Gadget, looks like Ive got a strong lead from the 1841.

;D Nice one guys youve helped no end

Regards

(An extremely chuffed) Matthew :D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline don_niagara

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 26 March 07 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hiya Matthew,

you wrote;

This is facinating stuff, thanks for the census Donald, appreciated. Ive had a few days off the genealogy but back on it now! Addictive like nobody's business!
On the census Gadget, looks like Ive got a strong lead from the 1841.

Lots of fun...

I have some data on descent from Margaret, sister of your ancestor Lexey, who married Alexander MacLennan. Not clear if the current generation of MacLennans at Reiff descend from Margaret, or from her brother-in-law, Kenneth MacLennan...

Regardless, there is a fair bit of descent traced for the Reiff MacLennans, as they intermarried with the well researched MacKenzie family there, and with my own MacLeods.

I'll extract what data I have on descent from Margaret and Alexander, and send it to you off post.

All the best,

Donald.
Primarly Coigach, but also other parts of Ross and Cromarty.

Offline karicat

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 21 August 14 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for ancestors related to John Mcleod. I am related to his daughter, Jessie, who came to Canada around 1850 and settled near Toronto. I have John and his family in the 1841 census - Kilmuir-Easter, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland, Age: 25 Elizabeth, age 25, Jessie, age 8, Ann age 6 and Christian age 3. John was a shoemaker. Lived in Milntown, parish number 69.