Author Topic: Archibald, Cockburn, Todd  (Read 16041 times)

Offline Roj47

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald, Cockburn, Todd
« on: Thursday 15 March 07 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I am predominantly researching Archibald. They originated in Kinross before moving to Middlesbrough 1840s in my tree.

I am trying to locate details of a 1776 kinross wedding between a Forest (forrest, Foster) and Archibald with a view to confirming a date of around 1753 for Archibald.

Anyone looking along similar lines?

Regards
Littlefair (Middlesbrough to Lanchester)
Archibald (Middlesbrough to Kinross)
Also featuring :
Johnson, Boyes, Leverick, Craggs, Dodds, Turner, Forrester, Todd

Offline archibald-islay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald, Cockburn, Todd
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi we are also looking for Archibald's Have seen your chat with
Monica My GGGranfather was Charles Mitchell Archibald born 1799in Abernethy died 1877 at 56 Grange road east, Middlesbrough. his wife Betsy Borland Born 1805 died 1850 in Forgandenny .We see you have charles birth date different  when charles died in middlesbrough his age was 77 on his certificate.
We haven't gone any further back at the moment. I presume you are one of Richards descendent's.as we are George Mitchells.(Richards brother) Have you traced any of the other brothers and sisters, We found Euphimia living in Dollar with her father Charles and his brother Richard andRichards son Robert but no trace of her after that .I wont bother you with any more details as you have probably researched all this. We have a Photo of Richard as Mayor of MIddlesbrough in1881.
Tony.

Offline Roj47

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 07 09:48 GMT (UK) »
What a pleasant surprise to find this reply in my mail box. Many thanks.

I will drop you a PM unless you feel discussing on here would be more appropriate.

It is quite some time since I delved into the tree and to be honest I got bogged down in a section of a tree not directly descending to myself. Such is the fun in it all.

You have already provided information I was lacking. If I remember correctly I was torn between 1799 and 1805, and as with things, took 1805 as more reliable.

The picture of Richard Archibald. Would this be something you would be able to email? I have a portrait taken in the 1880s which hangs on my wall. A larger version (which sadly I have never seen) resides in Middlesbrough Town Hall.

Richard Archibald also made a top 100 celebrities list of Middlesbrough as created by Dorman’s Museum. I contacted to find out final placings, but they no longer held information on the survey.

http://www2.middlesbrough.gov.uk/it/webdevt/council/LIBSARCH.NSF/678feb1611045b0c8025674d004a2b74/08f817dfc06caa6080256cd40049a970?OpenDocument

Again many thanks and pleas contact myself as I may be able to help you as much as you have helped already.
Littlefair (Middlesbrough to Lanchester)
Archibald (Middlesbrough to Kinross)
Also featuring :
Johnson, Boyes, Leverick, Craggs, Dodds, Turner, Forrester, Todd

Offline archibald-islay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 07 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roj47
Did try to send the photo of mayor richard but didn't seem to be able to reduce the picture as he is abig man ;D Probably better sent in an email ,we could exchange emails in the PM if you wish. We have managed to find George Mitchells death date after weeks of trying in Croyden 1925.
regards Tony.

Offline Topham26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hello, I know this post its not at all recent I have only found it when searching for the Archibald family.  I have been helping a relative research her Archibald line. The connection comes from Barbara Agnes Donald nee Wilson.  Barbara married John Todd Archibald at the Presbyterian Church in Middlesbrough 1905.  Name of father was Richard Archibald retired living on own means. On the wedding certificate it has father Richard Archibald and 2 of the 4 witnesses are a R Archibald and RG Archibald. At the time of the wedding Johns address was given as 29 Tunstall Vale, Sunderland. Johns occupation Iron and Steel merchant.  They had 1 daughter Marjorie Annie born 1909 and appear to have moved to Dover. Any help would be graciously appreciated.  Many thanks, Ann
Yorkshire: Topham, Sneaton
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne: Robson, Green
Kingston-on-Hull: Turpin
Suffolk: Sargeant (or Variants)
Shropshire, Wigan, Middlesbrough: Stevenson (or Variants)

Offline davidsresearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 March 16 13:51 GMT (UK) »
John Todd Archibald, b. 1877 Middlesbrough & d. 1958 Dover.  He md Barbara Agnes Wilson, she d. 1956 Dover.  John is the son of Richard Archibald, chr 16 Dec 1838 Forgandenny, Perthshire, Scotland; d. 13 Jul 1924 Crieff, Perthshire and Annie Robertson Todd, b. circa 1841 Scotland, d. 24 Jul 1907 Middlesbrough.

Richard is the son of Charles Archibald (b. circa 1799 Abernethy, Perthshire & d. 1877 Middlebbrough) and Betsy Borland (b. circa 1803 Perthshire & d. 22 Jun 1850 Forgandenny.

I hope this helps.  I cannot take the family further back at this time.