Author Topic: William Clifford marriage 1826  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Clifford marriage 1826
« on: Thursday 15 March 07 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me ?  I am interested in the marriage of William Clifford to Rebbecca Haddrell 27/8/1826 Calne. 

I would like to know if William had been married before.  Would this show on the parish registers?

Thanks in advance.

Nic

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re: William Clifford marriage 1826
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 March 07 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nicola,

You could order the film at your local LDS centre to look this marriage up. The number given on the BVRI is FHL Film 1279349

Good Luck,

Frances :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nic, what makes you think he was married before?   It may show on the Parish Record as he may well have been shown as a widower rather than bachelor.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 07 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

I think I found him on the 1841 census.

He appears to have quite a family living with him.   But the older 3 children pre-date in age his marriage to Rebecca.   But their ages could be wrong or they might not be his children.

Just to add to my problem I had been given the name of his wife from a reliable source but it is totally different.  So did she die and he remarry or is this another family and the names are a coincidence.  There are a lot of Clifford’s around this area..

I am also trying to find the death of who I believe is the 1st  wife.  So I am approaching my problem from 2 directions.

Nic

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 07 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Let me know who you think his 1st wife was, Nic, I'll see if I can have a look next week.
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 March 07 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thanks for the offer of help it is much appreciated.

The wife I expected to find was Catherine.  But if this is the same family then she would have died between 1823 and 1826.  Given the ages of the older children.

Nic

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Nic,

There were a number of William Clifford marriages at Calne, St Mary.

26 Feb 1815 William Clifford, otp, to Catherine Oliver, otp, wits Robert White and John Savory.
9 May 1824 William Clifford, otp, to Elizabeth Sumner, oto, wits John Savory and William Carpenter
3 Mar 1825 William Clifford, otp, to Jane Manners, otp, wits Ann Manners and David Manners

I couldn't find any suitable Clifford burials prior to 1826, but I fancy the first of these 3 as your William Clifford.   First from what you said - Catherine - and second a witness at his second marriage.........

27 Aug 1826 William Clifford, otp, to Rebecca Haddrell, otp, (x) wits John Oliver and William Carpenter.

Cheers Dave

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 March 07 20:14 BST (UK) »
Dave

Many thanks for your help.  The witness looks interesting.  I think I will now have to do some further research into the Oliver family.

Nic

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 March 07 09:07 BST (UK) »
Best of luck, Nic, hope it all works out.

Dave