Author Topic: Connor - Roscommon  (Read 3212 times)

Offline FaithJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connor - Roscommon
« on: Thursday 15 March 07 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about Bartholomew Connor (aka Bartley Connor) - He was born 1824c - I don't know whereabouts in Roscommon.  He is my brickwall - so if anyone out there has any information on him it would be fantastic!

He was in Doncaster in 1871 (on that census his name was given as Pat).  He was given the name Bartholomew in later censuses in Carlisle Cumberland.

He married Margaret Dignan (nee Horan) and they were both born in Ireland although I think they may have met in Carlisle Cumberland.

Sorry I can't give any further information :-(

Thanks for reading

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Connor - Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 February 08 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello FaithJ,

What denomination was the Connor family ? Were they  members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland), Methodists or Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline FaithJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Dear Christopher

Thank you for your interest.

I believe that he could have been Catholic - I do know the lady he married was - and their children were Catholic. 

He is a bit an enigma - according to census he died before 1891 however I cannot find a death certificate in England and Wales and his family were living there at the time - so whether he had gone back to Ireland I do not know.

Regards Faith

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Faith,

Griffiths Valuation - Roscommon 1857-58
Bartholomew Connor, Lavagh, Kilglass. Roscommon
Bartholomew Connor, Quarry-Lanes, Boyle. Roscommon