Author Topic: hayes family  (Read 22697 times)

Offline helenc1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hayes family
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 April 09 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

How does she fit with your family?

Helen

Offline harryhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 April 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
Girls,

I have a very large print out of the Hayes clan, which includes seedsmen.
I am not permitted to give copies but would be willing to look see if any one is on there if you give me a name and approx date.
It is titled"the Lake district Hayes Family and Pedigree" and dates back to the 16 hundreds with the legend that it stems from someone who fled his fathers anger in Glastonbvury.

Happy days

Offline helenc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 April 09 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have heard that Jane Hayes who was born in about 1837/8 was related to the Hayes family (garden centre branch) she married Mossup Tomplinson around about 1860 but that she married below her station and so was cut off from the family somehow. This is all based on what my mum remembers hearing from other people. Her father was possibly named John and born in the late 1798 ish

Offline harryhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 April 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
   My chart has the 1851 census Jane with her parents.  Seems to go back to John Hayes who married  Elizabeth Wilcock. Says she was the daughter of the owner of the Salutation inn, Ambleside.
The line on the chart goes much further back than that, but it's a bit complex to follow.

The line seems to go all the way back to a John Hais 1654 or , James Hais, buried 21.4. 1667, curate of Hescatt and Greystoke.
There are so many different spellings over the years.

Happy days

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 April 09 12:25 BST (UK) »
hi both
jane was my ggg grandmother, she married mossop 21/03/1861. they were living in egremont at the time. they had 5 children, Mary Jane, John, Margaret, Mossop and Sarah . Mary Jane was my gg grandmother.

1841 shown as jane hayer living in grasmere aged 4 living with isaac pattinson a28 and john dixon a13

1851 servant at the rectory in grasmere with mary hayes a37 b1814 ambleside and john hayes a53 b1798 staveley.

1861-71 living in Church street egremont

1881 living at high mile egremont

1891 living at 44 east road egremont - have visited here.

1901 living at 76 main road egremont which i dont think is still standing. have found 73 and 82 but nothing in between

Corinne

Offline helenc1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 April 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been speaking to my mum who was delighted to hear that other people were interested and I have asked her to write down any memories she has of Jane or her children which is where our families link Corrine. Mum said she had heard that Jane Hayes was at the rectory  because her sister was there. So I was wondering if Mary Hayes could have been her sister.

Do either of you have any info on this.

Harry would your chart have details of who her brothers and sisters were and what there date of births might be?

Corrine have you found any records of Jane's (birth certs, baptism etc) which confirm her age and details if not I will make that my priority for searching. I did find details in 1841 census - the one you have but I also found another ref to a Jane Hayes - dates slightly different but she is living with a John Hayes(unfortunately can't find this ref at the moment)

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 April 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
Helen
That would be fantastic if your mum could remember something! It is looking more like Mary Hayes being Jane's sister and John b 1798 being the father.
I have Jane and Mossops marriage certificate.
m 21st march 1861
mossop aged 23 bachelor, iron ore miner
jane aged 24 spinster, domestic servant.
both residing in Egremont at the time of marriage.
mossops father John. copper miner (deceased)
Janes father John, farmer (deceased)

witnesses were Robert Youant and Mary Tomlinson.
Mossop signes with an "x" and Jane signed her own name.

i assume jane was born just prior to the 1837 time births had to be certificated. I cant find her anywhere!

i look forward to hearing some interesting news!!

Corinne

Offline corinnelisa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 April 09 16:11 BST (UK) »
Here are some other notes I made a few weeks ago, trying to make more sense!!

1841 census

Jane Hayes b 1837 living with……..
Isaac Pattinson and John Dixon
Both working for the Black family in Grasmere

1851 census

Jane Hayes b 1837 servant living with…..
Mary Hayes b 1814 (unmarried) and John Hayes b 1798 widower
All working for the Flemings at the rectory in Grasmere

Mary was living with Jane and Mossop in Egremont in 1881.

Also

1841 census

A James Hayes b1827 living with…….a Henry Hayes b 1821 working for the Flemings at the Rectory

And

James again living with the Black family as a lodger!

These two male Hayes’s must be related somewhere, Harry, can you shed any light on this?

Offline harryhayes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 April 09 19:03 BST (UK) »
  Chart probably doesn,t help much.    The remarks may refer to Thomas Hayes/Elizabeth Vickers but more likely John Hayes/ Elizabeth Wilcock. John 1788 Staveley to1856 Grasmere.  Elizabeth 2.8.1796 Ambleside tp 27.3. 1838 Crossthwaite..  She was apparently the daughter of the owner of the Salutation Inn, Ambleside.  Married 5.6.17 Grasmere.
John farmed at Keswick.  Went into the coaching business.

"in 1851 - the rectory,Grasmere.  Sir Richard Fleming,John Hayes , widower. cowman, 53;  Mary H, housekeeper 37;  Jane Hayes, house servant. 13.
The chart seems to focus on the better off Hayes's.
   I might add that my Mary (nee Camm) left Warrington in the 50s and re-appeared 1861  in Lancaster (with Dixon) - she had changed from  a seamstress to "former house-keeper" - just wondered if she may have followed on from the pre mentioned Mary.  Where my Jane got to in the 50s remains a mystery.

The first mentioned Thomas "farmed with William Wordsworth etc
 The next section down goes To John Hayes, b 16/12/1832 marriedHannah Atkinson'.     And  William b 1834; Robert 1842 to 3;   Those two  just may be related to Mary and Jane subject of the query.

My biggest brick wall of all comes from from Mary,s son William Hayes - he awarded himself the middle name of Arkley or later artley.  would love to know where that came from - not his mother i don,t think.

Happy days