Author Topic: Thomas Gray  (Read 42559 times)

Offline Gypsydescendant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Gray
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I have now put Elizabeth Cadilla on my tree, unfortunately I am not with ancestry yet, I would love to see what info is there, maybe it could shed some more light on my own Gray's
My g g grand father was William Eias Gray and it has been a hard road tracking him and his family down, I have managed to get a few certificates  and records for his family. I wonder if there was a special registry just for Gypsies anywhere does anyone know? I have a sneaking suspicion about lists of couples having 8 to 12 babies making the mother in some cases in her late 50s, I am wondering is it possible that a child being listed as belonging to a couple may well be mothered by an unwed daughter. Ladies can you seriously see your selves having a child in your 50s how many of you would be post menopausal by this age? Sorry to stick a spoke in the wheel

Offline bigmama60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 January 10 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
If you have got as far as Founess Gray 1811 on Ancestry. Go to his profile, go right down on right hand side to where it says search the web for Founess Gray, it will bring up a long list of travelling gypsies. There you will find a load of information.

Verna

I have been on Ancestry for some time and wonder how you get a 'profile'?

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 28 January 10 19:46 GMT (UK) »
a"profile". In this case it refers to the page that comes up for a specific person in a user created family tree. As you are probably aware A* allows people to upload and create their own trees, in the hope of linking them to other people. Its a bit hit and miss as some people meticulously add their source of info and others dont. People can also link themselves to your tree with not much more than a whim, and Ive found myself having to unjoin totally unrelated people that have been linked/added to mine in the past.
If you were to go on the family history/tree page of Founess Gray and scroll down on the right youll find a link to a search facility to find other web references to people of the same name. In this instance almost all refs refer right back to this website (rootschat). And I am afraid I found no ref to an Elizabeth Cadilla. What I did find was ref to a Cadilla Gray b.cir 1741 who may have been the sister of Thomas Gray who married Elizabeth. Im sorry to burst anyones bubble and if I am wrong am only too happy to be corrected with the relevent source info.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 January 10 19:50 GMT (UK) »

I have a sneaking suspicion about lists of couples having 8 to 12 babies making the mother in some cases in her late 50s, I am wondering is it possible that a child being listed as belonging to a couple may well be mothered by an unwed daughter. Ladies can you seriously see your selves having a child in your 50s how many of you would be post menopausal by this age? Sorry to stick a spoke in the wheel

I could (but wont because of living relatives) name a case where exactly this occurred in my own family (NOT in this case on a romany line I might add!) an unwed daughter was indeed the mother of a child brought up by his grandparents, born 17 yrs after the last of their real children, a fact that went unnoticed for a long long time and created a bit of mess when it all eventually came out.

Offline Degray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 April 10 23:15 BST (UK) »
William Elias Gray was my Great great  Grandfather a lot of the information on this branch of the family has come from my research and has been copied wrongly from my family tree,  most of my information has  come from Williams granddaughter and great grandchildren so I know it is correct.

Offline bigmama60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 04 April 10 00:17 BST (UK) »
Degray, you should get in touch with gypsydescendant as she too is a gt gt grandchild, living in Australia!!

Offline Degray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 04 April 10 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you  Bigmama60 for the reply, I have spoken to gypsydescendant and passed most of  my research on to her.

Offline Gypsydescendant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 04 April 10 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi De Gray glad we are on the same wave length, like my new nick name ? Did you find that letter from Bernado's concerning Lawrence Gray and I think Elias may have also been mentioned, we will have to line up a meeting in July
xx

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, 

I was just reading through the thread and am a little confused.  Can anyone tell me how Abigail Gray might fit in?  ie John Harris married Abigail Gray 1874 Kings Lynn.  She is mentioned as a 'stray'.  I have recently got their marriage certificate and from the census have now worked out that her parents are:

Elias Gray and Sophia Smith.
Does this fit in with any of the other Grays you are all discussing?

Some of you helped me out on the Thorpe side of things, I'm directly descended from Abigail and John, their son John Harris married Slyvester Thorpe they are my Great Grandparents. 

Any information or pointers would be great. 

Cindy  :)
LANCASHIRE: Briscoe, Taylor, Hamilton, Cutts, Mousdell, Dixon, Fairclough, Dingle, Pennington, Ingham, Martin, Pinnington, Haselden, Molyneux
CHESHIRE/DENBEIGHSHIRE: Briscoe, Gibson, Tudor

SCOTLAND: Hunt, Murray, Docherty, Malley, Cameron, Colman, Middleton, Mason, Drummond, Gourdale, Fraser

East Anglia/East Midlands/Traveller: Harris, Gray, Thorpe, Sherratt, Sly, (Twigdon, Fendick, Clarke) Jackson, Rowe