Author Topic: Thomas Gray  (Read 42558 times)

Offline wallyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Gray
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 06 August 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi an65

I need help to try and link the grays and lovells, ,maybe via the smiths

Many thanks

Wallyg

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 10:21 BST (UK) »
well Id need a bit more info than three surnames to be able to help?

Offline wallyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 08:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry ann, seemed to have found it via lavinia smith,  but  my great grand father elias gray who married sarah smith
Who died 1920 aged 77, his father was, i believe a william gray.  In the family tree booklet of thomas and elizabeth gray by eric trudgill,  there are a few williams,,  would you know which is his father.

Many thanks

Walter

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
I believe thats William Gray b.1822 Ancaster s/o William Gray & Bethania Smith. He married Salome Ellen (Loangellin at marriage) Boyling, daughter of George Boyling and Joyce Tansey.
Eli/Elias b.2.12.1843 c.3.12.1843 Bucknall Lincs he married Sarah Ann "Sally" Smith 28.6.1863 Doncaster

Offline wallyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks ann65,..

I cant fit these grays in the family tree that eric tridgill wrote, do you know who was the father of william who married bethena smith, maybe he might jump out of the tree, your help is appreciated

Walter

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
I dont know what Eric wrote, I make my own trees and deductions. I believe that the elder William was the son of Charles Gray & Aquilla Smith baptised in 1791 at Ashwell Herts, as he claimed to come from Cambridgeshire, not Lincolnshire. His (Williams) more usual wife was Tabitha Smith, Bethanias sister. Bethania went on to marry James Mobbs.

Offline wallyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks an65

Yes i have found him ,he is the one you mentioned, son of charles gray. Charles is the son of cadilla gray who died aged 91 in 1824, it seems she was the sister of thomas and george,  you  wouldnt know who their parents were.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 23:38 BST (UK) »
at this point, no one knows.

Offline rosieM

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 25 October 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
Just had a eureka moment...

Golias Gray was suposed to have been born cir 1840s Abbots Ripton - and probably went by the name Elias...

Well Elias Gray b.cir 1844 Abbots Ripton turns out to be married to Amelia Hearn/Heron d/o Edward/Eldenham Heron & Christiana Smith. Elias turns up on later census's with alias William Gray and Walter Hearn - but the family are identifiable by a search for daughter Mary Gray who consistently turns up born in 1869 at Halesowen Worc.

Elias & Amelia had:

Abigail 1866 Bordesley Warwks who married Ezra Herring aka Iza Heron

Mary b.1869 Halesowen Worc married Alfred Smith

Mizelli/Marcelli b.1871 Walsall married Billy King

George Napoleon (the census enumerators had fun with this one!) b.cir 1877 Bloxwich Staff c.1880 Cannock Staff, married Jane/Sally Smith

Matilda b.1878 Walsall Staff married Tom Winter and later Rabbi Smith.

What is interesting here, to me personally, is Elias Gray was reputedly a brother of twins Righteous and Cornelius who also married into the Heron family. But his was the one baptism I couldnt find. Now I can see why! Righteous and Cornelius were twin sons of of the Bethania Smith - William Gray - James Mobbs triangle, and this William was s/o Charles Gray & Aquila (Equally) Smith.
Nepolian was my great great grandad and I've only just found out today about the mobbs triangle I was really shocked ! But who was james mobbs ? I can't find anything about him before Amelia ? I think James and bethania also had a son Moses who in one  of the census uses the  name Moses mobbs but who were the mobbs family I don't think they were a gypsy family ? That's why they took her name well her previous married name or she had a son William Gray and she wanted all her children to have the same surname ? Maybe ?  :-\

My gt gt gt grandparents was Bethania & James Mobbs aka James Gray from what I have gathered. (Their daughter Letitia 1845) She can be seen on census with Moses Smith & Eldri Gray in Harby i think it was off top of my head. Not sure but th8nk it was 1861. I see lots about the Smiths..and bit about the alias Mobbs..but nothing much about Letitia. I had a reseracher find the birth which was Hougham...or Hough on hill Lincs. No other children born in the name Mobbs in the area after or before..anything to add would be welcome ☺regards Rosie
Price Lincoln
Kilvington Yorks
Parnham - Notts/Yorks/Grimsby/Louth/Derbyshire
Hardwick - Hull Yorks/Poole Dorset
Hattrick Ireland/Doncaster
Ray/Reay/Wray/ -Hull Yorks
Dann - Dannet/Louth Lincs
Keal - Louth Lincs
Lindley -
Cunningham -Hull/Louth/Yorks
Hollis - Notts/Yorks
Wilson - Yorks/Notts/Boston