Author Topic: Ralph Glasgow/Elizabeth Jackson  (Read 8304 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Ralph Glasgow/Elizabeth Jackson
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 March 07 12:13 GMT (UK) »
 :D Found Margaret Jackson's DC, her age was unrecorded for the index search (you have to tick the box on the search screen to pick up on unrecorded ages - although ages show on the actual image):

1860   JACKSON   MARGARET  SCOTT   F   U   HUTCHESONTOWN   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   644/10 0154

Her parents show as John Jackson and Sarah McMillan (deceased)....which then connects with this 1841 Census entry I had seen before, everyone showing as born in the county:

John, 40, carter
Sarah, 35
Thos, 14
Margt, 15
Isabella, 11
Agnes, 9
Elizabeth, 6
John, 2

Address: Craignestock Lane, Glasgow St James

OPR entry for parents' marriage:

JOHN JACKSON     Marriages: Spouse: SARAH MCMILLAN    
Marriage:  24 NOV 1823  Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Regards.

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 March 07 12:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm speculating here  ::) Given Elizabeth was with her sister in the 1851 Census. I would guess that perhaps mother Sarah died between censuses.

There is an entry that would fit for father John and a new wife in the 1851 Census (a marriage of a John Jackson to an Elizabeth Steel shows on the OPRs on 12 JUL 1850 Barony):

John Jackson    57, carter, b. Glasgow
Elizabeth Jackson 49, b. Glasgow
Mary Jackson    5, b. Glasgow (this could be the Mary with Samuel Scott in 1861)
Elisabeth Jackson 11, b. Glasgow (this could be a daughter of Elizabeth from previous marriage)
Elizabeth Algie 41, lodger
Elizabeth Algie 5, lodger
Margaret Anderson 39, lodger

Address: 6 Canning Street, Calton, Glasgow

John Jackson is not showing as deceased in daughter Margaret Scott's 1860 DC.  The above is pure spec. on my part but something for you to perhaps follow up on.

Regards.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 March 07 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Another sister's death:

1864   JACKSON   ISABELLA   MCMILLAN   FULTON   F   30   BRIDGETON   GLASGOW CITY/LANARK   644/03 0213

Details of her likely marriage (and another 1855 cert.):

JOHN FULTON  Marriages: Spouse: ISABELLA JACKSON    
Marriage:  28 DEC 1855   Calton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

I would imagen that Isabella's MC will probably confirm that mother Sarah was already deceased by this year. Father John, carter, shows as deceased in 1864.

Regards.

Monica

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 March 07 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Wow Monica, you are the best!!  Thankyou so much for all the efforts you have put into finding out everything for me.  I will definitely sit down and re-read everything properly to see how it all fits in.  I have been stuck on Ralph and Elizabeth for about 2 years so I even got a bit teary when I saw all the info you had given me!  I haven't had this much help with my research before so please be assured I appreciate it more then you know!

It has certainly given me new avenues to investigate.  I know for sure that Elizabeth was deceased by 1878 as it shows this on Rosina's marriage certificate.

Thanks again for the info - you are a star!
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 March 07 06:33 GMT (UK) »
I found a death for an Elizabeth Glasgow in 1865.  She died as a pauper in the Barnhill Poorhouse in Sprinburn aged 27.  I had ticked the 'include unknown ages' box so even though it works out this Elizabeth wasn't born the same year as my Elizabeth would it be possible it could be her?  She is listed as married but no details of husband or parents and signature of informant is someone from the poorhouse.  It says she was formerly a mill worker.
It may not be her but I guess she could have ended up there if Ralph and Mary were having a fling!

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 March 07 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea

That 1865 DC could be for Elizabeth and certainly worth following up. I wouldn't be that concerned about the age being slightly out. By the sounds of it, she was a bit of a "lost soul" given that nothing was known about her at her death.

I've never had to personally follow up on poor relief records, just know what I have read about them on a number of sites. There may be no records on Elizabeth's application to be found (many poorhouse records have been lost/destroyed over the years) or you may be lucky and find something of substance.

Have a look at this link on another site with a similar query re Barnhill, the replies were helpful as to where to follow up on possible records:

www.talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7680&highlight=barnhill+poorhouse

Fingers crossed that you will find something, this may be the only way to get some clues as to what happened to Elizabeth.

....as for Ralph, the jury's still out!

Regards.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 March 07 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Andrea

Building up on the theory that Elizabeth lived up to 1865 and was therefore alive in 1861, I've gone back to the 1861 census and look what I have found under Jackson (remember in Scotland women never 'lost' their maiden name):

Elizabeth Jackson 25, lodger, cotton mill worker, b. Glasgow
Robt Learmont    31, shoe maker, b. Edinburgh
Elspeth Learmont 30, boot binder, sister, b. Edinburgh
John Learmont    9, son, b. Edinburgh
Christina Learmont 19, sister, yarn winder, b. Glasgow

Address: 2 Thomsons Lane, Calton, Glasgow

Not sure how accurate the Learmont relationship are. Sometimes mistakes creep in to the transcriptions on the index. Also the index doesn't show status, so not sure whether Elizabeth Jackson is showing as married/unmarried etc.

Regards.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 March 07 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I was curious about Mary Watson, 'wife' to Ralph. Have you seen her 1881 entry? She shows as housekeeper to a Robert Garroway, unmarried tea merchant (...oh dear!):

Mary Glasgow, 44, widowed, housekeeper, b. Montrose, Angus
Address: 20 Mc Culloch St, Govan

Regards.

Monica  ;)

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 April 07 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Sorry I haven't been on here for a while - my computer has been on the blink recently!  I also have some good news in that another family researcher from the wider Glasgow family has been in contact with me and we are definitely from the same ancestors!   He has given me a lot of helpful information so now the Glasgow family is taking shape slowly but surely!
Thanks again for all your help and all the best with your research as well.

Andrea