Author Topic: verication needed can you help  (Read 950 times)

Offline chaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
verication needed can you help
« on: Friday 26 November 04 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I have been looking for my g grandparents William Chaters (born about 1850) who married Sarah Jane Dainty (born 1858). First child was born 1883 Durham area. So far I have not found a marriage for them, I have them on census records, but still can not pin point births for them. However I have recieved the following record which looks like it may be them:

William Briggs Chaytors 1881 June Q 10A 451 MARRIAGE. On same page Sarah Jane Dadente married in Durham.

Can anyone help to verify this or offer any help as to how I could find if it is them.  I could send for the cert, but will this be proof that it is them?

What I would like is to see the original transcription, but where would  I do this?  Is ther anyone who has access to this record that could send me a copy, It may be that the original was miss- transcribed.

I know this is a hard one to look up but I do understand if its not possible.  Thanks for reading this and please remember any help would be more than welcome.

Best Wishes
Kathy
CHATERS, JORDAN, SPENSLEY, SIMPSON, DAINTY, LIDDLE, CRESSWELL, SCOTT.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: verification needed - can you help?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 November 04 23:26 GMT (UK) »
No one can supply you with a copy of this. The only online facility is the index. That is not accompanied by images. The only method is to send for the certificate. That is a £7 gamble but you may find on it other verifying information. The district, the coincidence of similar surnames and the date of first birth relative to the marriage date make this a racing certainty.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: verication needed can you help
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 November 04 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Have you though of looking up these 'aliases' on the 1881 census ?

If they do exist then the marriage record can't be your ancestors (as you have said you have already found them on the census).

If they don't exist, then it could be a mis-transcription...

I have just looked for all people with surname of DADENTE on the 1881 FamilySearch ... None found :)

And for William CHAYTORS... None found also :)
(Although CHATTER, CHATER, CHAYTER, etc are present)

Offline chaters

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 November 04 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Could you explain about searching for aliases on the 1881 census, I have never came across this before, thanks.
Kathy
CHATERS, JORDAN, SPENSLEY, SIMPSON, DAINTY, LIDDLE, CRESSWELL, SCOTT.

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 November 04 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Could you explain about searching for aliases on the 1881 census, I have never came across this before, thanks.
Kathy

What I mean by 'aliases' is this:
You know your ancestors existed. You have found a possible marriage certificate reference, but there could be a possible mis-transcription in the names.
What you should then do is look for these mis-transcribed names on some other records. To see if they really existed.
In your case, the 1881 census is a good start.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp
(select British Isles 1881)

You have a marriage reference:
William Briggs Chaytors 1881 June Q 10A 451 MARRIAGE. On same page Sarah Jane Dadente married in Durham.
You wanted:
William Chaters (born about 1850) who married Sarah Jane Dainty (born 1858).

I looked for the surname DADENTE in the 1881 census - the name was not found.
There are 6 Sarah DAINTY's b1858 +/- 5 years.
There are 12 William CHATERS (CHATTERS, CHAYTER, CHATHER, CHATER, CHAUTER included) b1850 +/-5 years.