Author Topic: Parish Records for Barrowford, Lancs  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
Parish Records for Barrowford, Lancs
« on: Saturday 17 March 07 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Having got as far as I can with censuses and IGI, I need to look at parish records for Barrowford in relation to the birth of a John Stevenson, born (according to the 1861 census) in Barrowford.  According to his marriage certificate (m. Isabella Noble 10 Nov 1852) his father was also called John Stevenson and was a farmer.

I seem to have hit a brick wall with on-line resources, so thought I'd have to plan a trip to the Lancashire Records Office in Preston, but looking at their indexes on-line, the church records for Barrowford start in 1839.

Can anyone advise what parish Barrowford fell under before it got its own church in 1839?
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records for Barrowford, Lancs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 07 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Aulus.

BARROWFORD, a township and a 'chapelry in Whalley parish', Lancashire. The township lies on the East Lancashire railway, 2 miles W of Colne; and has a post office under Burnley. Acres, 1,540. Real property, £7,754. Pop., 2,880. Houses, 612. The property is much subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton manufactories. The chapelry was constituted in 1843; and bears the name of Barrowford-Colne, or Colne-Barrowford. Pop., 2,796 Houses, 591. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is recent; and there are four dissenting chapels.

Hope this Helps! ::) ;)
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 07 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Church Records for Whalley:

St Mary and All Saints, Church Lane, Church of England http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Whalley/StMaryandAllSaints.shtml

English Martyrs, The Sands, Roman Catholic http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Whalley/EnglishMartyrs.shtml

King Street, Wesleyan Methodist http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Whalley/KingStreetWesleyanMethodist.shtml

Sy Mary & All Saints is Your best Bet I think! ::) ;)
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 07 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I think my first choice would be St. Bartholomews, Colne, closely followed by the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Barrowford, Wheatley Lane Inghamite Chapel and St. Mary`s, Newchurch in Pendle.  Bear in mind that they didn`t have to be baptised in their own Parish.  So basically it could have been anywhere in the area.  Have you taken a look at:
http://www.lfhhs-pendleandburnley.org.uk/
Click on Local Churches and then view map.  If you then click on the Barrowford Booth or the other surrounding areas you will be able to trawl through and see what records are held.

Nelson and Colne Libraries have a great selection of transcribed record`s for the area in book form. This may be a better option that trawling through the ones at Preston.  

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 07 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Mo.

I bow to Your (more) thorough Searching! :-[ ::) :) :)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 07 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pegasuss,

I actually live very near to Barrowford so have an unfair advantage having eventually tracked my lot through the same churches in the same time frame.  They weren`t half awkward so and so`s.  Some baptised in Newchurch in Pendle, some at St. Barts, Colne and then they turned Methodist!!! They have led me a right merry dance!

Aulus, I forgot to mention that I found some of mine baptised at Colne Wesleyan Chapel, Church Street, Colne.  I blame John Wesley.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)