Author Topic: Birth Help!!! George WIlliam Burke  (Read 6388 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Birth Help!!! George WIlliam Burke
« on: Saturday 27 November 04 00:37 GMT (UK) »
I am having the devil of a time finding a birth of my great-great grandfather, George William Burke.  My grandma and her sister disagree whether he came from England or Ireland.  I have tried England and they have done a search at PRO from 1875-1879 in the civil reg and turned up nothing so I am starting to think maybe he was from ireland.  I hate to waste any more money.

George William Burke was his name.  I found on his death record and WW I draft card that his birthday was January 5, 1876.  One would think with the date I could find his birth record.  Supposedly his parents were William Burke and Maraget Stone.  He came to the US according to the Census in 1891.  He said on one Census he was from England and another born in the US.  I think he might have fibbed as being Irish was not always historically a positive in some places in the US.  His death record was reported as being born in England but  I no longer know what to believe.

Please help me find this elusive man!!  I do not know what to do next and have no experience researching Irish records.  Any tips would be helpful.  Thank you!- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Help!!! George WIlliam Burke
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 04 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You should search for his birth in the birth indexes. These are available in the Dublin GRO or onfilm at your local family history centre.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 November 04 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Is this him, albeit 1878 NOT 1876:

George William Burke 
Male     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:  05 JAN 1878   Manchester, Lancashire, England

Christening: 
Death:  26 JUN 1901   

~~~~~~~~
Parents:
  Father:  William Burke 
  Mother:  Margaret Harriet Mary Jane Stone 

Please let us know if it is.

Also, there was a George William Burke born in County Mayo, Ireland, but in 1871 (don't know date).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 04 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Oops, forgot to add, same two parents also had the following children born Brooklyn, New York:

Henrietta Hattie Burke c 1879
James Burke  c1880

Just realised that perhaps you already have all of the above.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 November 04 14:17 GMT (UK) »
I have found that listing before on the IGI.  There are some problems with the person's info.  George William died in 1953 (I have his death record) and his marriage date is in 1901 (not he death that person listed.)  Also, the children were all born in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County, NY.  The census has them all residing there and my grandma was born there.   

The only concrete proof I have of his past is all arguable.:

Death record states born January 5, 1878 in England to Margaret Stone and William Burke.  The reporter of this was his youngest son who may not know exact info.

Census - Has him born in England about 1876/77 and immigrated in 1891.  There are always flaws within the census.

Draft Record for WWI- George would have reported himself the information and he was born on January 5, 1876 in England. 

However- PRO vannot find a birth record for him in 1875-1879 in England and Wales.  I just do not know what to do.  I have hit a brick wall.

- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 November 04 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Thought you probably had all that.....what about the County Mayo one I mentioned though. OK, year is 1871, but, as you know, the 1876 is not a certainty either. The contact details for  Mayo are:

E-Mail : soumayo@iol.ie 

Not sure of costs involved.

I suppose you have already tried playing around with his name....eg William George, Bourke, Burk even Burgh.

Really hope you tie this one down, I have an ongoing 'problem' one at the moment and it is so frustrating. Best wishes.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 November 04 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the advice.  I have one last thing to try.  George's marriage certificate in the US.  May have his place of birth with town/village and parent's names.  Keep your fingers crossed that it works.
- Kristin ;D

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hope it does - let us know.