Author Topic: Thursby's and Casson's of Cockermouth  (Read 5083 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thursby's and Casson's of Cockermouth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 November 20 16:41 GMT (UK) »
I have "my" William only married to Mary Blenkinsop - but, as I mentioned, there were several Williams Casson buzzing around and marrying at about the same time.
Mine was a joiner throughout, and his marriage seems to have had some problems, because they are apart at at least one census, but when he dies, she is still inherits.
There are a few more William Cassons of around the right age - varying from 1812 to 1823 birthdates - who married various Marys, and often families of the two William & Mary couples get mixed and are combined.
I spent years tracing every William Casson line through all the censuses, baptisms, marriages and burials and other records to get them all sorted out - I think I may still have the files of the "wrong" Cassons all worked through, somewhere, in paper files, including the Kendal ones, but I'd have to spend a long time finding them. I'll have a potter around and see, but it'll not be quick, but I will get back to you in time. I did the same with a Fisher line, up there, some Ross people and some Newbo(u)lds, and it's a lot easier than you might feel, if you trace each line through and untangle them for yourself. (Several online trees have some really creative families!)
It'd be a whole lot easier tracing families around if they'd be a bit more imaginative in their names, wouldn't it?
I think there are quite a lot of people related to our Cassons, around -0 just I don't know many personally. Didn't think "oodles" was a very northern expression, used it all my life.
Lets all keep hunting.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ladyholme

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 November 20 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again  :) Do tell me if you ever find your Fisher line marrying into the Linge line!!!! Lyn

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 November 20 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Not as far as I've found..... yet! Anything's possible with families, isn't it?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes there are oodles (very Lancashire expression?) of William Cassons! I do have a slight enigma and that is that I have a Mary Chambers b.1813 married to your William Casson first and they had a son called....William? But then I also have Mary Blekinsop married to him!! Was he married twice? Have I got the names written down here incorrectly?
I have a vague note that their son George was married to ANOTHER Mary...this one is a Hogarth? They had 8 children? Mary, Benjamin, Elizabeth, Margaret, Martha, George, Jane and Ann? I don't study other peoples lines generally as I always feel I am intruding without their consent!!! Anyway, yes I am interested and hope we can keep each other in the loop...I presume we are distant cousins and its lovely to feel less alone.
Regards Lyn

I found a William Casson who married Mary Chambers(b1813 to George Chambers and Elizabeth Woodburn). Their son George married Mary Hoggarth or Hogarth in 1856.
William was a weaver but his father also William (c1783 -1851) was a skinner born in Broughton in Furness.  He left a will when he died naming all his children William, Thomas, Robert ( descibed as a soldier)
Mary and Elizabeth. He also specifies his Granddaughter Rebecca Casson who was the daughter of his eldest daughter Jane who died in c1849.
Reid, Munro, kempster: Edinburgh
Sutherland, Gunn: Caithness
Ferguson: Fife
McIntyre: Liverpool
Key: Newcastle On Tyne/ Norfolk
Lake, Brinded, Wymer, Briggs: Norfolk
Philipson, Kellet, Peet, Storrow, Leck, Gifford Willan, Dover Dowker, Casson Benson, Verty: Westmorland & Cumberland & Lancashire
Ludford, Allen, lockwood: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Trotter, Collier, Pollard, Cresswell: Northumberland

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 December 22 16:40 GMT (UK) »
As I said / wrote .... there's a lot of Williams Casson around!
TY

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 December 22 17:29 GMT (UK) »
 >:(
Reid, Munro, kempster: Edinburgh
Sutherland, Gunn: Caithness
Ferguson: Fife
McIntyre: Liverpool
Key: Newcastle On Tyne/ Norfolk
Lake, Brinded, Wymer, Briggs: Norfolk
Philipson, Kellet, Peet, Storrow, Leck, Gifford Willan, Dover Dowker, Casson Benson, Verty: Westmorland & Cumberland & Lancashire
Ludford, Allen, lockwood: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Trotter, Collier, Pollard, Cresswell: Northumberland