Author Topic: Baxter Families prior to 1849  (Read 6426 times)

Offline boatsport

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baxter Families prior to 1849
« on: Monday 19 March 07 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Re: Elizabeth baxter
I have been searching for information on Elizabeth Baxter, born in ireland abt 1827 to 1832. Her father may have been either Denis or Ronald and her mother was Margaret, Mary or Elizabeth. It is quite possible that I may find links to Scotland or England. She was Catholic and I believe she was born in Dublin or Leitrim.

What I “know”:
Elizabeth Baxter was born in Ireland between 1827 and 1832 (from various US census reports and New Orleans La USA death certificate). She married John Clarke (born in England, about 1821, as listed on New Orleans death certificate). They married prior to 1851, since their first child (Thomas) was born March 1851, in New Orleans, Louisiana. They had another boy (J Clarke) around 1854 and twin girls Jan 1863, in New Orleans. The girls were named Margaret and Mary. I do know that their children were raised Catholic and the children generally married Irish Catholics.
We have found the following records, but some of the linkages are difficult and not clear.

Re: Marriage License, Parish Church of Liverpool:
An Elizabeth Baxter and John Clarke (Mariner) married in Liverpool, May 20, 1849; certainly consistent with the above records (no verifiable immigration records have been found). John's father was listed as Edward Clarke (Mariner). Elizabeth's father was listed as Denis Baxter (Teacher). Witnesses were Margaret Milone (Mullen) and Patrick McKernum (McKernan).

Now it gets difficult. I found on the LDS site: ELIZABETH BAXTER, born May 1827, Christened 12 MAY 1844 Saint James, Manchester, Lancashire, England, Father: DENIS BAXTER. After many days of checking England and US census and immigration records, I do not yet know this is the same Denis Baxter and Elizabeth Baxter appearing in the Liverpool marriage. The age appears correct, but that Elizabeth would have been born in England. I did find a Denis Baxter listed in Ireland records but have found no link to him. I guess I may have jumped to assume the LDS Denis and Elizabeth Baxter were the same as on Liverpool marriage record but that may have been a mistake. Searching 1841, 1851, and 1861 records I do not yet have a link to the LDS information. No age information was listed on the marriage license.

Research on the witnesses:
 I have not made a solid connection between the Liverpool couple and My Elizabeth Baxter (Irish) and John Clarke (English). However, I did find some relevant facts from research on the witnesses to the marriage. Elizabeth Baxter had been living with the following household: --Hannah Baxter 51, wife of a Mariner (Thomas Baxter, at sea during 1851 census), Margaret Baxter 25, George Baxter 16, Henry Baxter 14, Ann Baxter 12, Estell Baxter 10. The Baxter’s were listed as from England.
The following people were also in the household:
--Robert Forsyth 18, from Scotland.--Margaret Milone (Mullen) 26, Mariner’s wife, William Milone 31, Mariner, both from Scotland
--Hannah Mary Good 22 & William Good 29

The family of, a witness, Patrick McKernum (McKernan) was from Ireland and Scotland.

I found Edward Clarkes (Mariners of the right age) in England, but no links to John Clarke of the Liverpool marriage.

The bottom Line:
- It may be that the Elizabeth Baxter and John Clarke married in Liverpool, 1849, are my Elizabeth and John.
- I have no reason to believe that the above Hannah Baxter (of Whitby, Yorkshire, England) was a mother of the Liverpool Elizabeth Baxter. However, it may prove to be a link to the Denis Baxter of Saint James, Manchester, Lancashire, England.
- I would love to find a link between the Liverpool couple and their Irish and English parents. It is interesting that their friends were from Scotland and Ireland, Perhaps, Thomas and Hannah Baxter may have links to Scotland or Ireland Baxter families.
Baxter, McGough, Ronane, McComb, Taggart

Offline boatsport

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baxter Families prior to 1849
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
I just posted a followup research question (below) on the general site.:
I am looking for information on the Baxter family that apparently came to the US in 1864, via Liverpool & New York. The family (Denis, Bridget, John, Kate, Mary and Patrick) is listed in the 1870 and 1880 census (Philadelphia Ward 22). In the 1900 census, Patrick and his wife Mary had 5 children (James, George, Dennis, Mary J, and Annie K).
My great grandmother, Elizabeth Baxter Clarke (b. abt. 1827) emigrated to New Orleans from Ireland about 1850. When she married in Liverpool, 1849, she listed a Denis Baxter as her father, and stated that he was a teacher. She was catholic and of course it is not clear what that meant, since Irish Catholics were not usually “allowed” (officially) to go to school in the 1700’s and early 1800’s.
The U.S. Denis Baxter (b. between 1797 and 1810) is listed as a laborer in the US Census, but may be the father of Elizabeth. I should add that Elizabeth was possibly from either Dublin or Leitrum.
Ronald Baxter McGough
Baxter, McGough, Ronane, McComb, Taggart