Author Topic: Murder in 1890  (Read 14018 times)

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad : 1917-2008 xxx
    • View Profile
Murder in 1890
« on: Monday 19 March 07 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I took a trip to NRH today and discovered an interesting entry for my G G Grandmother.  There was a record of correction for her and it appeared that she died of shock as a result of injury to her head, chest and abdomen.  I noticed that her brother registered her death.

Back home I kept thinking about it, wondering why her husband didn't register her death, so logged onto the Scotsmans archive.  Up pops an entry, so I pay out to download.  I now have 3 articles relating to the murder of my G G Grandmother - committed by her husband.  The articles give loads of details including the sentence of 7 years and I've now got a clear picture of what happened that afternoon.

Anyway, I'm now wondering if there is any other sources I can look up.  I've just done a search on the NAS catalogue but it's come back with no matches.

Does anyone know if the prisons hold records or advise me of anything else I can look up?  I'm also wondering what happened to their 6 year old son whilst his father was in prison.  This all happened in Leith, Edinburgh.

Thanks
Sharon
ANDERSON - Galashiels, Coldstream
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in 1890
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 May 07 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

My G G Grandmother as mentioned above was buried in Grange Cemetry.  As the Grange is quite a distance from Leith I wondered if there may have been another one in 1891.  Maybe not but it seems a fair bit away to be buried.  As far as I'm aware all her family come from Leith.

I've emailed City of Edinburgh Council about 5 weeks ago but have never had a response.

Does anyone else have an idea why she would be buried at Grange and not one nearer home?

Thanks in advance
Sharon
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
HI Sharon

If you post some names, maybe people might be able to help with the searches.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 07 14:06 BST (UK) »
Of course, not thinking!

Margaret Hendry, died 20 December 1890.
Her husband (who murdered her) was William Hendry.

They lived (and she died) at 9 Burns Street, Leith.

Sharon
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 07 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi sharon,

Sorry to hear about the news, but I searched on the National Archives of Scotland, done a search ubder "William Hendry" and both the precognition and trial are listed there, JC26/1891/10.
William Hendry plead guilty to culpable homicide and was sent to penal servitude for 7 years.

William was 34 and a labourer at time of precognition.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 07 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon
I found these on the NAS relating to Wm Hendry
Precognition against William Hendry for the crime of murder at 9 Burns Street, Leith
http://www.dswebhosting.info/NAS/dserve.exe?&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Site20&dsqCmd=show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=58&dsqSearch=((text)='hendry')

Trial papers relating to William Hendry for the crime of murder at 9 Burns Street, Leith. Tried at High Court, Edinburgh
http://www.dswebhosting.info/NAS/dserve.exe?&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Site20&dsqCmd=show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=78&dsqSearch=((text)='william%20hendry')
William Hendry, widower, Verdict: Guilty, Verdict Comments: Guilty plea - culpable homicide, Sentence: Penal servitude - 7 years

Hope this helps.  Doesn't seem long for murder does it?  Maybe the fact he pled guilty helped.

Good luck
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 May 07 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

What was the brother's name that registered her, trying to prove her own family in Grange area.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 07 14:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks!  I did a search on the NAS website and got zilch!  I'll wait till I go home tonight (better not do it at work!) and search again.

I knew what the sentence was as there is a very large article reported in the Scotsman.

I emailed NAS but never got a response.  I'll pop in the next time I'm on leave.

I also work near the Grange so may go one lunchtime or after work and see if I can find her - if there is a grave of course.  They were both drinkers so I doubt there would have been money for a stone unless Margaret's family got one.

Basically, according to the Scotsman, William wanted some dinner, Margaret didn't respond (presumably stone drunk) so he started kicking her.  Obviously went too far and she died of the injuries.  I don't think he even realised she was dead and even got a neighbour to help him take her to bed - she (the neighbour) also didn't realise Margaret was dead.  It was a visitor to the house that reported to the police.  The sad thing is their son, also William, who was only 6 seemed to have witnessed it all.

I was excited when I first found this thinking at last something juicy in the family, then I remembered these people were family and it made be sad.

Sharon
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 May 07 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

What was the brother's name that registered her, trying to prove her own family in Grange area.

Tom

Tom - I'll check when I get home (boss now about so better do some work!).

Sharon
THOMSON - Currie, Leith