Author Topic: Murder in 1890  (Read 13994 times)

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad : 1917-2008 xxx
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in 1890
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi again Tom

I've now had a reply from City of Edinburgh Council where they have given me plot and map of where Margaret is buried.  She's in the same plot as her mother, sister, brother and 3 half sisters.  I didn't know about the sister or half sisters so  more to add to the tree!

The late Margaret Wood or Angus died 20th April 1890 aged 59yrs, interred in Section S Grave Space 89.
The late Margaret Thallon or Hendry died 20th December 1890 aged 35yrs, also interred in Section S Grave Space 89 (my G G Grandmother who was killed).
The late Catherine White died 12th June 1891 aged 20yrs, also interred in Section S Grave Space 89.
The late Annie Smith died 12th March 1897 aged 4days, also interred in Section S Grave Space 89.
The late Mary Angus Smith died 14th May 1902 aged 11 months, also interred in Section S Grave Space 89.
The late Wilhelmina Thallon died 18th April 1915 aged 51yrs, also interred in Section S Grave Space 89.
The late Alexander Thallon died 2nd April 1925 aged 66yrs, also interred in Section S Grave Space 89.

Because of these names I purchased some credits from Scotland's People and had a few to spare so thought I'd try the 1901 census (Tom, I know you had already looked at this but wanted to print off the page).  Looking at young William's date of birth I realised he would have turned 17 by the time of the census and there is one match.  A William Hendry, age 17, boarding with the family named Swanson.  He was a grocers apprentice.  I think this could be him.  They lived at 32 Easter Road, Edinburgh - just across the road from where I lived 70 years later!

I also discovered Margaret's mother (Margaret Wood) was married three times (Thallon, White and Angus).

Planning to pay them a visit very soon.
Sharon
ANDERSON - Galashiels, Coldstream
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 January 08 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

Further to my previous queries I now have another relating to the murder!

A distant relative has recently got in touch with me from the Hendry side.  She gave me information on William's mother's death (William who committed the murder).  Interstingly she died in 1895 and William was the informant.  Since William was sententenced to 7 years in 1891 he obviously did not serve the full time and has moved from Edinburgh to Ayrshire.

Typically when I tried to view the prison records those are the years that are missing so I am unable to find out when he was released from Edinburgh Prison.

Does anyone have any other ideas where I can look or am I at a dead end here?

Sharon
EASTON - Edinburgh<br />FOWLER - Yorkshire, Traquair, Pathhead, Penicuik, Edinburgh, Fife, Canada<br />HENDRY - Coldstream, Edinburgh<br />MORRISON - Edinburgh<br />SWANSON - Edinburgh, Lasswade
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline Newvrovski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I'm a Thallon and have recently been trying to find the link between Thomas Thallon (Margaret's Father) and the rest of the Thallon Family from Fife. Unsuccessfuly I might add.

Anyway, One nugget of information I found was that Margaret Thallon had an illegitemate son (John Thallon) in 1879, she is noted on the birth certificate as being a domestic servant. John is listed living with Margaret's brother (Alexander) and sister (Wilhelmina) in West Port, Edinburgh St Cutherbert's in 1881 and in 1891.

This may be another dark secret :o

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 October 09 21:25 BST (UK) »
oohh very interesting!  I didn't know about the illigitimate son.  I've not got any further back than Thomas and Margaret (Wood), Margaret's parents, but hoping to go back to Register House later this month.  I'll take a note to look more into them.

Sharon
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 16 October 09 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

this is hopefully going to help answer a few questions in an aroundabout fashion.  The Book is called
Crime & Punishment Trails in Aberdeen & Stonehaven.   It is one of a series of themed trails being developed around the city.  The have a website.  www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/trails.
I know it is not edinburgh but they may be able to help.  Perhaps they have a counterpart in Edinburgh who can actually help.  Contact name is Chris Coley Assistand Keeper (Research) 01224 523653  Let me know how you get on and if this was really any help.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 October 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon
Having read your posting after posting my answer I can see that things have moved on quite a bit since the last time I posted
Hopefully you will find the answers you are looking for.
marcie and goodluck!  ;)
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline sharonf73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 October 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Marcie and thanks for this info.  Maybe one day I'll get all the answers, when I'm looking for something else!

Sharon
THOMSON - Currie, Leith

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 17 October 09 00:39 BST (UK) »
It will probably just fall in your lap! :)When least expected.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline Anne Douglas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
I have been researching my son in law's Angus family tree and his parents have quite a bit of information too. i have stumbled across your Roots Chat post about Margaret Hendry ( nee Thallan) and her murder.
Did you know she had an illigitimate son in 1879 called John Thallon Angus. He was brought up by his grandmother Margaret Wood, I'm presuming when when she married William Hendry. He is in the 1881 census with her and Neil Angus as a 2 year old.
He took the name Angus from her third husband, Neil Angus, who must have carried on bringing him up when his grandmother died, also in 1890, the same year as his Mum was murdered.

he went on to have a son called William Brown Angus 1917 - 1986, who married a Marion Anderson, 1924 -2008.
Anne