Author Topic: Galt Aircraft School, Cambridge Ontario Canada  (Read 5511 times)

Offline Gotcha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Galt Aircraft School, Cambridge Ontario Canada
« on: Tuesday 20 March 07 09:17 GMT (UK) »
In doing some family research, I found out that my wifes father attended Galt Aircraft School in Galt (now Cambridge) Ontario, Canada in the 1940's. We have found pictures of him and a whole group of men that also attended. We have some of his work books. I have looked on the web for information on this school and all I've been able to come up with is that it was started by the Ontario Provincial Government. I've checked the library, and the official government website and there is nothing there. I'm looking for pictures of this school and its location in Galt (Cambridge). Any help would be appreciated.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Galt Aircraft School, Cambridge Ontario Canada
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you go to this site and use the message board:

http://www.rcaf.com/
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline mandmsports

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I believe that Galt was a base for the "Commonwealth Air Traning Plan" during the war. Many Canadian airports were converted into air training schools for Commonwealth air forces. My understanding is that Galt was a "wireless" training facility.
You can contact the city of Cambridge and pose your question to them at;
questions@city.cambridge.on.ca

Mike
Gander, Surrey and Sussex
Harper, Kent, Somerset
Eastes, Kent
Harris, Wales, Newfoundland, Bristol
Brennan, County Cork
Davis, County Armagh
Widdis, Ireland
McNevin, Argylshire
Capen, Dorset, Mass, Vermont, NB,

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 19:37 GMT (UK) »
HI Gotcha,

I was talking to my dad and he remembers that the WRENS used to have a training school in Galt during the 40's.  Not sure if you remember Preston Scout House band, but they would go and practice there during WWII.

The place were they where is now the OPP station on Hwy 24, by the hotel with the rocket ship.  It has been a few things over the years, at one point it was a girls home.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline nickiezoe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 June 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi: Just became a member and saw your post re the Galt Aircraft School.  I was rummaging through my old boxes of papers and found a mint condition "Galt Aircraft School" pin.  It is made of Sterling Silver.  If you are interested in this pin, you can have it for the price of the shipping in honour of your wife's dad.  I attempted to attach a photo of the pin, but the server said it was too large and I don't know how to work around that.  If you want a photo, pls send me your email address.
Blessing,
Nickie

Offline GeraldR

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 April 20 01:51 BST (UK) »
I just fell in here researching this topic. My dad was an airframe mechanic in the RCAF and trained in Galt (his high-school tech qualification was cabinet making but since the RCAF aircraft had a lot of wood including flight surfaces, propellers, etc ... so a good fit!). During the 30s Galt Collegiate Institute added vocational training capability which was seconded for the war effort: a GCI history page has an actual picture of airframe mechanic trainees gathered in the machine shop. GCI is our longest continually operated secondary school.

Offline Hallibag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 15:22 GMT (UK) »