Author Topic: Kemp lookup in Warwickshire  (Read 12993 times)

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Kemp lookup in Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 March 07 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I think you are on the button Daisy, sounds like a 'nice' family but they all turned out right in the end!
Thank you so much for your perseverance and effort, much appreciated.

'If we don't like what's under the stone we shouldn't turn it over in the first place'

Offline Sue020

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 October 07 20:36 BST (UK) »
I am directly descended from this KEMP family and have a considerable amount of information on them, including:

extracted from the publication "Police News" dated 5th December 1868.

"William Kemp, 56, a brickmaker, was charged at Warwick Assizes with the wilful murder of his son, Thomas Kemp.

The facts of the case were of a very painful character.  The evidence went to show that in July of the present year the prisoner was residing in a cottage at Princethorpe, near Warwick, with the deceased, a married son, and his wife.  Deceased and prisoner occupied one bedroom, and slept in the same bed, and the other bedroom was occupied by the married son and his daughter-in-law.  Between three and four o'clock on the morning of the 14th July the prisoner left his bed, came downstairs, procured a razor, and cut his youngest son's throat so severely that he died in about a quarter of an hour after.  After committing the deed, he went to the adjoining bedroom, roused his married son, and said, "I have cut little Tom's throat."  The son rushed into his father's bedroom, and was horrified to see his brother standing in the room in a pool of blood, with a frightful gash in his throat, from which blood was flowing.  He at once got an apron to staunch the wound, but deceased told him not to do so, for he was dying and should go to heaven.  When asked what had led him to cut  the poor lad's throat, the father answered that he was afraid if he lived he would come to poverty, and so he cut his throat to save him from such suffering.  He was shortly afterwards apprehended by the parish constable, to whom he stated that he had got up with the intention of leaving the place, and then just when he was about to do so, the thought occurred to him that if he cut Tom's throat, he would never live to come to poverty, and he then took the razor and went back and did it. 

The case for the defence was that he was of unsound mind at the time of the occurrence.  It appeared that about eight years back prisoner had a lightning stroke, since which time he had been very low and desponding.  The loss of his wife, which took place three years since, aggravated his disease, and increased the depression of his spirit to such an extent as to cause alarm among his neighbours and friends.  Recently he had sustained a heavy loss in his trade, and that also preyed upon his mind to a serious degree.  His great trouble appeared to be that some day he would come to poverty, and he seemed to be deeply affected with the idea that the deceased would suffer a good deal on that account.

Several witnesses were called, who described fully the fits of melancholy to which he was almost continually liable.  To one he said he would take a shirt and wander about until he perished.  To another he said that the devil  had such a strong hold on him that he could not pray to Almighty God for assistance.  His mind was continually brooding upon future poverty, and on one occasion he took two knives upstairs for the purpose of cutting his own throat. 

The jury returned a verdict of not guilty, on the grounds of insanity, and he was ordered to be confined during her Majesty's pleasure."

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 October 07 07:57 BST (UK) »
Blimey, what a story !!  :o :o

Welcome to RootsChat, Sue  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sue020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 October 07 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the welcome!

In a letter to Sue020 dated 21 November 2006, the archivist of Broadmoor Hospital confirmed that they still hold records relating to William Kemp.  She advised that these records are not open for public viewing, but she was able to provide the following information:

"William Kemp was tried at Warwick Assizes and found not guilty on the grounds of insanity, the sentence being that he be detained during Her Majesty's pleasure.  He was admitted to Broadmoor Hospital on 1st February 1869 from Warwick County Prison.

He was 56 years of age when he was admitted here.  It is stated that on admission he was fair of health, could read and write a little, and had been a brick maker for 35 years.  He had five living children - the youngest was 20.  I have letters of thanks from them, received after his death, their names were Peter, William, Joseph, Edward and a daughter called Sarah Scott.

Whilst at Broadmoor Hospital he worked in the gardens and helped with the painting of the hospital.

He died here on 20th January 1888 aged 94.  He was buried here on 25th January 1888.  Graves here are unmarked, but should you ever wish to view the site our Chaplain would be happy to show you."

William's son Edward John Kemp is my great grandfather.  I have not so far been able to discover why he was in Warwick County Prison at the time of the 1871 Census.  Edward John's son George Henry Kemp (my grandfather) married Rosannah Copson in 1903, in Ross on Wye, Herefordshire.  George Henry's marriage certificate indicates that his father Edward John was deceased.  This was not in fact the case - Edward John died in 1910.  From the time of his marriage onwards George Henry referred to himself as Henry Kemp.  George Henry's daughter Linda Mary (my mother, born 1912) was not aware that she had any living relatives on her father's side of the family right up to the time of her death in 1982.  I didn't take up family history until the late 1990s, so was unable to advise her otherwise!

Does anyone have any ideas about how to find out more about  Edward John's spell in Warwick County Prison?  He is not included in the on-line Calender of Prisoners database belonging to Warwick County Record Office.

The photo attached is of George Henry and Rosannah Copson on their wedding day.

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 October 07 12:07 BST (UK) »
Superb stuff Sue, thank you for all that info, very much appreciated.

I am researching the family for a friend, Peter Kemp who lives in Nuneaton, Warwickshire and you have unblocked a very big brick wall.

I have passed on your info and he is currently taking it all in. he may like to get in touch sometime but will await his reply on that.

Al

Offline Sue020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 October 07 14:47 BST (UK) »
Al in Vane:
I have lots of information on these Kemps, if your friend Peter Kemp would like a copy of my notes.  Can I ask which Kemp branch Peter is descended from?

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 October 07 19:26 BST (UK) »
This is the 1901 for Bedworth, Peter comes down from George, his father was also named George. There are lots of Kemps in the Bedworth/Nuneaton area coming down from this family. When Peter has studied your entries I am sure he would love to know what else you have so I will probably send you a personal message after the weekend. Where are you from?

Marston Lane, Bedworth
Edward Kemp      52   Brick Maker         Princethorpe      +
Matilda         51               Kingham, Oxfordshire
George         24   Coal Miner Filler      Stretton
James         20   Coal Miner Filler      Stretton
William      18   Coal Miiner Filler      Stretton
Annie         12               Stretton
Samuel         10               Stretton
Peter         6               Stretton
Lily         3               Stretton

Offline Sue020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 October 07 09:51 BST (UK) »
Al:
We certainly have the same family here.  I live in Birmingham now, but was born in Hereford.  I have two living sisters and one Kemp cousin, all still in Hereford. 

Offline Muzza

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 November 07 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Murray Kemp, and I descend from a family of Kemps in Marston Lane Bedworth, My dads name is Alan, and my grandads name is Ronald, his dads name was William, and he ran the Old Goose pub in Orchard Street in the 1930s-40s.  If any one knows any more please help