Author Topic: Tyrrell Family Arklow  (Read 29068 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Tyrrell Family Arklow
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 April 07 15:45 BST (UK) »
Happy Easter Anne,

One Tyrell appeared on a list of Business Owners In Arklow, County Wicklow, Ireland in 1840

Mark Tyrell, Main Street, Arklow. Public Houses

An extract from a page which is part of an Irish genealogy web site called ...
'From Ireland' © Dr. Jane Lyons, Dublin, Ireland.

Wicklow County, Ireland.

Arklow Town

Trades Directory - 1931

taken from Thom's Directory of Ireland, 1931

Messrs Kearon & Tyrell, South Quay, Hardware Merchants
Messrs Kearon & Tyrell, South Quay, Ironmongers
Messrs Kearon & Tyrell, South Quay, Oil & Colour Merchants
Messrs Kearon & Tyrell, South Quay, Coal Importers
Messrs Kearon & Tyrell, South Quay, Ship Chandlers 
Messrs Kearon & Tyrell, South Quay, Ship Chandlers

John Tyrell & Sons, South Quay, Ship Owners
John Tyrell & Sons, 46, Lower Main Street, Yacht & Boat Builders
Michael Tyrell Michael, Upper Main Street, Ship Owners
Peter Tyrell Peter, Upper Main Street, Ship Owners
Tyrell see Kearon & Tyrell, South Quay, Coal Importers

The brigantine, "Asgard II", was designed specially for sail training purposes by the late Jack Tyrrell
was built in Arklow, Co. Wicklow and commissioned there on 7th March, 1981.

Chris

Offline sandyc

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 June 07 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi any information on Patricia Tyrell from Arklow she married Patrick Branson late 1800's and moved to England south London area, where they had a haulage business. They had 4 children [we think] Patricia, Eva Gladys, Gwen, and Aubry, maybe another boy. Thanks. S.

Offline gina45

• RootsChat Member
  • Catherine Leahy and Francis Meates
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 January 09 02:08 GMT (UK) »
I recently was talking to a lady who is researching her family tree and her mother was a
tyrrell from arklow.. shipbuilder Tyrrells.. i will give her the name of this site i am sure she will be thrilled with the info on it...
there are also other Tyrrells in arklow .. Hunt-Tyrrells but I dont think they have a connection to the other family..
gina
brennan o reilly leahy regan moore howlin meates/mates penston, toole, crowley adams

Offline triffid467

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Re: Gina45's post. The shipbuilding the Tyrrells are noted for was started by Michael Tyrrell. His son John started John Tyrrell & Sons, which then passed to his son Jack (of Asgard 11 fame). Jack's brothers were also heavily involved in the maritime industry. Michael owned and operated coastal steamers, Joe was initially a woodwork teacher and then started Tuskar Boats in Wexford, and Willie started Arklow Engineering, now part of the Arklow Marine Services group. There were also 2 sisters who I haven't been able to track down yet, but 1 of whom married a farmer in the Wicklow area.

Jimmy Tyrrell of lifeboat notoriety, mentioned earlier in the thread, is a cousin of my father, son of Joe.

There's also another family offshoot in Canada apparently. Michael (? I need to check) a cousin of Michael, Jack, Joe, & Willie lived in Vancouver and taught at a maritime college there, after a colourful career at sea as a senior engineer aboard tankers after WW2.

Offline janisinc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 December 09 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Patricia Tyrrell was my gggrandmother. She married William Thomas Branson and they lived in Surrey England/ I know that Patricia's father was Captain Patrick Tyrrell but cannot find any other information. Would welcome any help at all. Janis Lee.

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 December 11 02:35 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a George Francis Tyrrell born 1836 from Wicklow. I believe I have found a record of  baptism for him in Rathdrum COI in 1836, parents George Tyrrell a carpenter, and Sarah ( no surname given). George Francis firstly married a Rebecca Sweaney in Dublin in 1858 , register states George Francis and Rebecca were from Arklow. George Francis's second marriage was to a Susan Tyndall in 1862. The family story believes  George Francis Tyrrell is connected to the Arklow ship building Tyrrels but so far I have been unable to make a connection.

Offline craftymaggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 May 21 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I used to be on this site a long time ago when I had an eircom.net ady
Unfortunately I forgot to change it and had to re register so some of you may recognize me
Im looking for info on John Byrne and Ann Tyrell who married i  1853
She was born in 1835
Does anyone have any info on them?
Their daughter Catherine was my great grandmother and she married Archibald Allen
Cant find marriage cert for Catherine  but on another tre she is listed as havi g married 12 May/june 1876 but dont know where and the tre owner wont reply to me
Maggie Harding

Offline craftymaggie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 01:06 BST (UK) »
Been reading about the Kearon conection to the Tyrells
Im from Dun Laoghaire and lived in the cottages behind the Town Hall (ugly new apartments now)
and the Harbour Mastefs House was at top of lane as you came in off Crofton Road
Reggie Kearon was Harbour Master at the time and I used tp play with his daughter Elizabeth
Tragically he was drowned in 1958/59 in the lifeboat tragedy which saw most of the lifeboat crew lose their lives
Little did I know then that I would find a family connection to the Tyrells

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 May 21 12:08 BST (UK) »
I see Archibald Allen was an army pensioner on his death 1898 born circa1833
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05841/4654700.pdf

there was an Archibald Allen born in Carlow on 7th Oct 1832 to George and Elizabeth Allen
https://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/display-pdf.jsp?pdfName=c-317-1-2-156

Chelsea pensioner
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5CM-2RJ