Author Topic: Butterworth  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Yardbird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Butterworth
« on: Thursday 22 March 07 11:40 GMT (UK) »
There is a mystery concerning James and Ann/Annie Butterworth, and their children, Sarah Ann, Elizabeth, Alice, James, Thomas, John and Constance. They are all on the 1901 census, living in Burnley. After that there is no trace in Burnley, or anywhere else, except for Sarah Ann who was married on 19/10/1901, in Burnley. I cannot find any matches, for any event, after 1901, in any location.

Anyone any ideas or connections with this branch of Butterworth?
Butterworth, Mclaren, Mcconnell, Lord

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Butterworth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 07 14:25 GMT (UK) »
any of these yours?

Thomas A Butterworth married maria Ashton 1912 Burnley Lancashire  Yorkshire/West Riding 8e 350 March quarter

John R Butterworth married Clara Bennett 1912 Burnley March quarter Lancashire/ West Riding Yorkshire 8e 273

John Butterworth married Esther E Collester 1913 sept quarter 8e 658 Burnley Lancashire

Alice Butterworth married 1911 June quarter 8e 616 Burnley Lancashire to John E Hall or William H Ballantine

Elizabeth J Butterworth married Sept quarter Burnley Lancashire 8e 414 to Walter Wilkinson 1913

James Butterworth married Gertrude Young 1914 June quarter Burnley lancashire 8e 416

Sarah A Butterworth Burnley Lancashire 1910 Sept quarter 8e 404 Herbert Cockcraft or Alfred Laycock

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 07 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yardbird & Pam ;)

Also via searching on http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk

1905  Alice BUTTERWORTH married William MARTIN  Burnley St Alban (St Paul) ~ Burnley registers at  Preston reference :CE112/4/457
Children before 1911 I cant identify but these are definites:

Possible child:
1916 Martin  Sidney mother's maiden name  Butterworth district Rochdale  8e 138

1904 Elizabeth  BUTTERWORTH married Herbert EIDSON Burnley, St Stephen Preston CE101/2/365
Possible Children

1911 Eidson  Edwin  Mothers maiden name Butterworth  District Skipton  Ref 9a 47
1914 Eidson  Alberta  Butterworth  Skipton  9a 49
1917 Eidson  Herbert  Butterworth  Skipton  9a 41

Cheers
Jan :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Yardbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Jan and Pam
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 07 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replies. However I have done extensive research, not only in Burnley, but surrounding towns when ages at the time of the event matched that of my subjects, but to no avail.

To answer the points raised:

Thomas did not have a middle name, so I have put that one to one side for the moment.

John did not have a middle name either, but as he was born in 1897 he would have been too young to be married in the years stated.

I have a marriage certificate for Alice married 7/10/1905 to William Martin, but I am not 100% sure that I have the right one, even though all the data matches.

Lancashire Registrar's office has checked, twice, all Elizabeth Butterworths married 1901+ in Burnley, and none match the criterion required. Again she did not have a middle name.

I have not inquired about the James B marriage, mainly because he would have been 25+ which seemed a little old to be getting married at that time. I may be wrong, so if all else fails I may give it a try.

As mentioned in my original post, I do have the correct marriage of Sarah Ann.

My main interest is in the father, James, as he married and then deserted or divorced my Great Grandmother, and married Ann/Annie Ingham, so I would like to find his death just to draw a line under his life, so as I have been unable to find his death anywhere (despite detailed research and certificate requests) I thought if I could trace some of his family, particularly marriages, I might get a clue as to his time/place of death.

Again thanks for response.

Peter

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 07 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hiya

Was James born Sep qtr 1851 Burnley?  If so there is a death registered in Burnley Jun Qtr 1902 aged 50 - Have you checked this one previously?(I know you probably have!)

With regards to middle names ~ sometimes they are added later in life such as communion or confirmation names ~ I have found this with a few of my family

Also, have you tried posting on the emigration boards? I hadnt been able to trace my Grandad in Law for years until someone found him in Adelaide Oz for me, so it is worth a try posting a look request on these boards.

Good Luck
 :-*
Jan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Yardbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jan
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 March 07 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, again.

I have inquired about the JB death in 1902, and the details do not match. He was born 1854 in Bury, even though his age on the 1901 census was given as
50, Ann's age was given as 46 and she was born 1860, again in Bury. Why they would give these ages is a puzzle as on all previous census and certificates their correct ages were given.

I note your other comments and I will take your advice, Thanks

Peter

Offline Burnleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:13 BST (UK) »
Are you still looking for information on this part of the Butterworth family?

Constance Butterworth was my great-grandmother.

Please let me know if you are still looking for further information.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 09:41 BST (UK) »
James Butterworth
aged 51 years
of  9 Finsley Gate
buried 30th of December 1911
grave number A12295
Burnley cemetry
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Yardbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
Burnleygirl,

Thanks for your message, my only interest in Butterworth was that James B. gave his name to my Grandmother Edith/Ada Butterworth, although I do not think he was the father as there is no father's name on the birth certificate. He was married to Edith's mother, but I think that when Edith was conceived he had quit the marital home and was living with his future 'wife', Ann Ingham.
I wanted to explore his life and find his death, which after a lot of research I did, so if there are any loose ends in your research please let me know and I will fill in any gaps if I can.

Radcliff,

Where did that come from? it took me many months of research, and eventually a visit to Burnley cemetary to unearth that information. Also I must ask, why, after all this time  has this thread lept into action?

Peter