Author Topic: The person behind the name  (Read 1945 times)

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
Re: The person behind the name
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 March 07 19:10 GMT (UK) »
The person I would like to meet is/was my 2x g/grandmother Mary Ann.
Married a Scottish tinker/traveller who joined the army about 1850.

She came of basic Scots/Irish stock I believe, had 8 children, 3 of them in India while trailing round after her husband's regiment.
I imagine her to be a slim (stringy?) build but one very gutsy lady. She died aged 81 in Lancs living with her daughter.

Funny but I always imagine hubby, 2x g/granddad, as something like Sargeant Harper in the Sharp series  ::) wrong time period I know, but the conditions wouldn't have been much different.

Wish I had a pic of them...wishful thinking
Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 March 07 00:32 BST (UK) »
Don't have a piccie of my g grandmother (who has my name) but have one of her mother in law (who after marriage had the same name) C 1860

Be afraid !!!
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

indiapaleale

« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 March 07 00:38 BST (UK) »
Cal,
Her butt looks big in that!

Indi  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 March 07 00:41 BST (UK) »
Well Mat is her daughter so ............... MASSIVE!!  ;D ;D ;D
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 March 07 00:56 BST (UK) »
I might be daft but I talk to g.uncle Morgan's portrait. I ask him what he was like, what did he like doing etc. He's got a lovely face, looks really gentle. It's hard to picture him in the muck and filth of the trenches.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 March 07 12:46 BST (UK) »
oh yes great aunt Lilian.  She married someone who was instrumental in the temperance society in Newcastle.  I knew that her sister, my grandmother had signed the pledge at one point so I assumed that this was a god fearing woman who would let not one drop of liquor past her door.  I assumed she'd be a very stern Victorian lady.

Yikes! - I made contact with her granddaughter only to discover that she was a total hypocrite - had a bottle of gin hidden under her table, as did her so called sober husband - just goes to show what our imaginations can do!

Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline rubyrose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum - thanks to RC Restorers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 March 07 18:44 BST (UK) »
One of my favourites is my great grandmother Alice. Her father died when she was young and she went to live with her aunty as her mother had two other young children. She married a postman and had eight children.

Recently I got a photo of her which is attached. She is just as lovely as I thought she would be. I also learned that in 1916 when she was pregnant with her 9th child, she was washing the windows outside the house, trying to make things nice for her son who was coming home on leave from the Army. She slipped and fell on to the iron railings outside the house and bled to death from her injuries.

I don't know what draws us to some ancestors more than others, but I was really upset when I learned what had happened to her.

My grandmother, who was 16 at the time, had to give up work in Lewis's department store to look after the family.

Ruby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER - Lancashire, Cheshire, BUCHANAN - Glasgow, Lancashire, LAWRENCE - Jamaica, Lancashire, JONES - Shropshire, Lancashire, SHAWCROSS - Lancashire, India,  MONTAGU - Lancashire, America, MORRISON - Fife, Lancashire, SEDDON DUTTON HESKETH  - Lancashire, WHITEHEAD - Yorkshire, WIDDOWS - Ireland