Author Topic: Any ideas on dates for these two?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline daz68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Any ideas on dates for these two?
« on: Thursday 22 March 07 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have two photos I would PLEASE like to have dated if possible.

The first is a wedding photo which I would like to kno what year approximately - it was taken in Perth, Western Australia if that helps at all?

The seocnd I believe is the bride in the first photo later in life, but I don't know for sure... I know it's not great in quality but any thoughts on whether it is the same person, how old they might be and date of photo.  If it isn't the same woman then I am thinking it might be the man in the photo's mother.

HELP!

Thanks

Darren
Stace from Sussex, Kemp from Kent, Markham from Lincolnshire

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas on dates for these two?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 07 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darren
Here's a quick restore for one of them. Original was not too good to work on as blurred and only scanned at 150 dpi  Any chance of rescanning at 600 dpi?
Mudge

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 07 13:00 GMT (UK) »
hello Darren,

While you are waiting for your datings , I thought I would give this a clean up. Also I just had to straighten the picture on the wall   :)

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 March 07 13:15 GMT (UK) »
and here's a black and white

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline mudge

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 07 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Darren
Here are my versions of the other one
Mudge

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 March 07 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daz,

I would suggest that the photograph of the wedding couple was taken around the 1900's as there are certain things that are drawing me towards a small date frame of about that time.

Unfortunately the attire of the male does not give much away as he is dressed in a three or four buttoned sack coak (a bit late of this period but bearing where the photograph was taken it may have still been fashionable) whereby the jacket was only fastened by the very top button under the point of the lapels, which have a narrow size to them as well as a high step. Fastening the jacket in this fashion exposed the waist coat and it appears that he has an Albert chain attached high on the waist coat which would, in turn, have been attached to his watch which then would have been placed into the high pocket of the waist coat. It looks like he is wearing a white stock at the neck against that of a collar and tie which does not help as this may have been the style for male attire at weddings (don't forget that it was, as it is now, personal choice for what one would wear at your own wedding albeit in keeping with the period). Other than being clean shaven except for the moustache and having a centre parting in his short hair there is really nothing to point me in a date direction other than it could have been taken at anytime between 1890 and 1905.

The woman on the other hand is so different. Her hair is that if the pompadour style with its centre parting and swept up style which leaves the ears exposed. The Pompadour style came into fashion from about 1892, however it went through two stages and I believe this one is from the second stage which was common between 1901 and 1904. After 1904 the style became much looser until it started to disappear in about 1910. The cut and style of her wedding dress (never an easy type of dress for me to try to date) also suggests to me a date period of between 1900 and 1904 with its high collar, small waist, tight fitting sleeves with the very long epaulette covering at the shoulders that give it a small cape appearence and also the very long veil that reaches down to the hem of the dress. Lastly the hem is off the floor which again points me to a period of between 1900 and 1904. Hope that this helps.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline daz68

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 13:36 BST (UK) »
THANKS very much for all of your help - I now have a very good sense for when teh photo of the couple was taken.  The woman on her own would seem to be a mystery.

Thanks again to all.

Darren
Stace from Sussex, Kemp from Kent, Markham from Lincolnshire