Author Topic: Salter family  (Read 7207 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Salter family
« on: Thursday 22 March 07 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find any info on my Salter line. My grandad was desmond salter b.1918 Fulham, London, m1942 to Margaret May Maxfield, did a runner and nobody ever saw him again!

Was in navy as a dental mechanic. I have his navy number.
I need to know whren he died - or if indeed he is dead - it is possible that he's still alive.

Now it gets complicated:
On his marriage cetr itr states that his dad was Jervis Salter (deceased) in 1942. HOWEVER, on desmonds birth cert it states that his father was unknown - line through column - and his mother was Ethel Salter as if desmond took his mothers name (ie he was illegitimate). So i dont know whether to believe the marriage or the biorth cert???

If indeed jervis is related to me then i know he died between 1918-1942. Any ideas what the best way to search for his death is??

As for desmond - well i searched the complete 1984-2004 ancestry deaths and he isnt there...

Any help qwould be greatly appreciated

thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Salter family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 March 07 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I personally would choose the birth cert,considering she was unmarried the child would have had her surname.Then if she did marry the child would have taken a second surname i presume :-\ As for giving his unknown father a name then killing him off ;) He wouldn't have had much choice he had to put something,So made one up.He wasn't going to put don't know. ;DThats just my opinion though ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 March 07 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Marriage

Sep q 1908

Fulham vol 1a p487

Charles Jarvis C SALTER and either

Grace Florence STANDLEY or

May Violet LEWSEY

Do any of these names ring a bell?

Maybe the father had been married before or was married at the time of your grandfather's birth?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 March 07 19:51 GMT (UK) »
hi thanks for your replies. No none of those names ring a bell - were u thinking one of those womean could have been jervis's first wife?

So Celia, your saying the birth cert is most likely correct?
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 March 07 19:56 GMT (UK) »
hi thanks for your replies. No none of those names ring a bell - were u thinking one of those womean could have been jervis's first wife?

Hi Alison

That was what I was wondering, yes.  It is an unusual name and the fact that it is in Fulham is quite a coincidence.

On the other hand, if as you say SALTER was his mother's name, it could be that Jervis was an uncle.

"ifs and ans..."

;D

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 23:43 BST (UK) »
So Celia, your saying the birth cert is most likely correct?
Don't take my word for it,but i would say yes.The birth is the one i would choose.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 March 07 09:19 BST (UK) »
Re: death of Desmond.
On the info you give we know he died between 1942 (marriage) and 1983 (you've looked '84 onwards)

Can we narrow this down any further? Like what date were children of the marriage born? the youngest?

Then it will be a case of going through the death indexes quarter by quarter to find his death. Not as daunting as it sounds, I promise!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 11:08 BST (UK) »
thanks - the only chil;d from the marriage was my dad b.1945 - not much help! then he did a bunk and was never seen again...i spose i will get round to going through the quarters one day
Alison

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 16:11 BST (UK) »
From the birth certificate, what was the address given?
From the marriage certificate, who were the witnesses?

Charles Jarvis Salter (aged 20) is living in Fulham in 1901 with his mother Fanny (aged 48).

In 1881, this family are (25 Hill Street):
Jarvis Salter, 29
Fanny, 31
Ethel Lillian Salter, 3
Edith Mary, 1
Charles Jarvis Clerson Salter, 1M
Emma Salter, 59 (mother of Jarvis)

Possibly he put his grandfather's name on the marriage certificate?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk