Author Topic: Salter family  (Read 7204 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Salter family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 10:24 BST (UK) »
Phew!

Been through full death indexes 1945 - 1983

NO Desmond Salter of any age/area/anything at all.

Therefore when he 'disappeared' he must have either gone abroad, or changed his name, or he was still alive after 2004.

But i did find a death for a Jarvis Salter, which may fit in somewhere:
Oct/Nov/Dec 1971
Jarvis Salter, born 28 Dec 1887, died Wolverhampton area ref 9b 2271
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 22:16 BST (UK) »
Alison
i have just found a piece of paper in the jumble on my desk  ;D from when i went through hundreds of records home  & abroad.(I forgot to post it ::)
It might not be of any relavence but because of the lack of that particular name anywhere. They might be worth taking note of. like others i found not a single Desmond apart from his birth.There were lots of D.Salters on various U.S Records but D could be lots of names.However i did eventuay find three Desmon Salters,(pity he didnt have a middle name)

1930 U.S. Federal censusDesmond Salter
Birth. abt 1922
RES 1930  City  Columbia Florida

U.S Public RecordsDesmond E Salter
Birth  (you have to be a full member of ancestry to see)
Residence Lake Florida.

social security Death index.
Desmond L Salter
Birth  ??
Death  dd mm   1991
Jefferson Louisiana U.S.A.
Cival Pensylvania

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 April 07 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for all your suggestions and hard work. Desmond's DOB was 4th dec 1918. He was born at 369 Fulham Rd - which i believe was Fulham Rd infirmary as i remember. However his mothers address was 5 Marville Rd, Fulham. Ethel (his mum ) was a munitions worker in 1918.

Witnesses at his marriage were his wife to be's mother Jane Maxfield (my great grandma) and George Brown? His dad it says was Jervis Salter (deceased in 1942) and occupation unknown. Desmond was a dental technician in royal navy. his number was A.B.Ch SSX/18764. Does anyone know how that number can be of any use?

thanks

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 April 07 23:30 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how that number can be of any use?

With that number and all the information you have on him.You can get his naval records & anything else you want.I got my granddads a few years ago.From London i think they were about £30  They gave three descriptions of him according to which ship he commanding.One said he was pale skinned with blue eyes and a tattoo on left arm.Then he was dark skin, blondish hair.That would be because he had just come back from a few months on the islands :D.Fascinating stuff  ;D You can also try Chatham Dockyard.Historical society if they are still functioning :-\

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 April 07 23:56 BST (UK) »
is there a site i can go to to apply for his naval records?

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

I don't know, but you could post his name and number on the Armed Forces board and I am sure someone there will have the answer.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 April 07 15:08 BST (UK) »
Try the National Archives site for info on how/where etc
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

I think Naval records are at Kew
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 April 07 11:54 BST (UK) »
thanks for your help everyone - iv posted on armed forces and am awaiting replies
Alison

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 December 18 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I am returning to research after a ten year break. This was my original post and I am reopening it in the hope that someone can shed some light on this one remaining piece of the kigsaw in my tree!
I am mainly trying to find Desmond's dad's name...named as Jervis Salter (deceased) on Desmond's marriage certificate but unknown on Desmond's birth certificate. Desmond 'appears' to have taken his mother's surname - Salter. Given that no one would make up a name like Jervis, I am going on this as my only possible lead at this stage - but in the knowledge that Jervis may well be his uncle or some other relative on his mother's side. I am also quite happy to advance the Ethel Salter line backwards too.

From the above - very old - posts, I have pieced together the following:

1881: - 25 Hill Street (was this in Fulham?)
Jarvis Salter 29
Fanny 31
Ethel Lillian Salter 3
Edith Mary 1
Charles Jarvis Clerson Salter 1m
Emma Salter 59 (Mother of Jarvis)

1901:
Charles Jarvis Salter aged 20 living with mother Fanny aged 48

1908:
CHarles Jervis C Salter Marriage Sep quarter 1908 to either GRace Florence Standley or May Violet Lewsey

1971 OCt quarter Wolverhampton
Jarvis Salter (born 28 Dec 1887) - possibly Charles Jervis Clerson Salter

So...am not sure where to start and am well out of practice!

I need to really find Ethel on 1901 and 1911 - is anyone able to do a lookup please? As I remember, I couldn't narrow down which one was her, but its ten years ago and I can't really remember!

When the 1921 comes out...that will perhaps give some answers as to who Ethel was with 3 years after Desmond's birth?

I think possibly if I also get the marriage certificate for CJC Salter in 1908?

From another source, I have some very slight possibilities of names for Desmond's dad...I will post serparately below

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Alison