Author Topic: McGurn or variants  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
McGurn or variants
« on: Sunday 28 November 04 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Trying to pin down my ancestors who emigrated to Canada in the early part of the 1800's.

My Liverpool branches used the Irish system of naming their children down through the century, Fathers father, Mothers mother, fathers brother etc.,

One thing has been noticable whilst looking for them is that two names seem to be quite rare amongst Irish families. They are Christopher and Philip. It's been because of this I have been able to find g/grandfathers birth certificate which has his surname written as McGORRIN. The names of both parents match the rest of the siblings births certificates so I am fairly certain it's the right one.

G.G.Grandfather CHRISTOPHER McGURN b 1814 in Leitrim Ireland came over to England circa 1840. His eldest son also called Christopher was born in Ireland in 1838.

Believe that Christopher (b1814) may have had a brother who emigrated to Canada as I have found a number of McGURN's in Canada who have the first names of Philip and Christopher.

Just need to punch a hole in that brickwall. Any help appreciated

Thanks
Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline Old Laughin Lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McGurn or variants
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 21:30 BST (UK) »
I have always intended to trace my family tree, and as the 1901 Scottish Census has just been released, I felt that the time was right.
I have also just found this site and although still not sure how to move about it, have came across your message Jean
So far, I have traced all my Scottish McGurns back to mid 1800's, most are Dennis, Denis, Martin, Patrick,John & Peter.(not yet sure if Peter is a relation), but feel they must all be related in some way.
Peters daughters birth certificate stated that Peter & his wife were from Co Fermanagh..so I guess thats where my next searches will take me.  Most of them were all born around 1820 - 1830. 
Have you found any links with Scotland and the above christian names or came across any links with Co. Fermanagh.
My father was one of 10 and his father was also 1 of 10.
Searching is now addictive and using the Scotland Search becoming increasingly expensive, and unfortunately my father and his siblings are all deceased so I cannot ask anyone, and anyway their parents both died when the family were all young and they were all fostered, so maybe they didnt even know their history.
Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Maggie :)
McGurn, Morton, Main, Templeton

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 05 03:40 BST (UK) »
Jean,

Do you know what part of Canada they moved to?  Some of the Canada GenWeb sites have a lot of information; it varies.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~canwgw/html/e-index.html

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 April 05 07:26 BST (UK) »
Josephine

Thanks for the link. Not been on that one before. Not sure what part of Canada the male line went to however do have info about one of the female's who married in Liverpool and emigrated in the early part of the 20th C. Am in touch with one of her descendants.

I did find an island on the McKenzie river which is called McGERN Island and appears to be called after one HARRY McGERN.  As the name McGURN can sound like McGERN when spoken I did wonder if related. Others ways the name can sound could be MAGURN, MAGERN, M'GURN even McGOURN.

Maggie

Forgot to click the "notify me of reply" so missed your reply earlier this month but found you on your other posting. I spent a lot of time looking up Fermanagh as there are a lot of McGurn's from there. However according to the 1871 Census my 3x great grandfather came from Leitrim so have been concentrating in that County.

Am in middle of listing all Scottish McGurn's from my list of 1881 Census and will post them on your other Posting.

Cheers
Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe