Author Topic: CULVERHOUSE Family - Wing and Chesham  (Read 7945 times)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
CULVERHOUSE Family - Wing and Chesham
« on: Sunday 28 November 04 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,I would welcome any feedback from anyone with 1 or more connections to the Culverhouse families of Wing or Chesham.I have over 400 Culverhouses to date but still have gaps.The information I have is freely available by request,either posted here or by personal message.Regards,Pete 8)
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline cullen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Culverhouse family,Wing and Chesham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 January 05 15:46 GMT (UK) »
While I am not a member of the culverhouse family, I know of Rod Culverhouse who runs/owns the sports shop in Chesham. Also as i work in Chesham I know that Chesham Library has the PR's in hard copy so, if you need anything looked up i would be willing to lend a hand.

Cullen
Simmons/Simmonds -Sussex
Hall - Cuckfield, Sussex
Allen - Sussex
Glenister -Bucks
Allen - Bucks
Young - Bucks
Haynes - Clerkenwell/Shoreditch, Mddx & London
Cullen - Waterford, Ireland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joejoe1

• I am sorry but my emails are not working anymore
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 May 07 20:51 BST (UK) »
hi
would you be so kind as to look for esther culverhouse for me? my surname is culverhouse and she would have been my gggrandmother she was b.1849 and as far as i can tell she had 4 illegitimate children whilst living in chesham.  mary ann b.1864 frederick b.1869 herbert b.1877 and walter b.1880 have all birth certs no mention of the father! mary ann was born in the union workhouse
thank you anything would be greatly appreciated
jo

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 07 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo

I think maybe this is your Culverhouse family from the 1851 census.

Chesham
Piece 1717 Folio 205 Sch 0023

Thomas COLVERHOUS Head aged 50 ag lab born Chesham
Elizabeth Colverhous Wife aged 46 born Chesham
Eliza Colverhous dau aged 14 born Chesham
Mary Colverhous dau aged 10 born Chesham
Mathew Colverhous son aged 9 born Chesham
ESTHER Colverhous dau aged 6 born Chesham
Moses Gibbs son in law aged 27 ag lab born Chesham
Ann Gibbs dau aged 20 born Bovingdon

I'm sorry I can't give the details from the 61 & 71 census but I'm sure if you start a new topic on the Bucks board some kind soul will find them for you however the name is spelt. :)

Hope this helps in some way.

Maddie

Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joejoe1

• I am sorry but my emails are not working anymore
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 07 22:56 BST (UK) »
hi maddie
thank you for the info you gave me.
we have census records for esther  1851/61/71/81/91/1901
all her children were born without a father's name given and we have been completely surmising what there names could be as through the yrs she lived with aunts/uncles  neighbors ???  before she came to northampton and married thomas white and then had a child with him and gave her his surname ::)
anyway thanks again Jo

Offline ahcoles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete - is it okay if I add a link to your Culverhouse database from my website (the Wing One Place Study)?

Regards
Alex

Offline lesleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CULVERHOUSE Family - Wing and Chesham
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 January 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo

I am researching all the Chesham men who died in the two world wars. One is Walter White, born 1879-ish (no birth found) who from my rsearch on census etc appears to be your Esther Culverhouse's son. His father would therefore be the Thomas White she married in 1887 in Northants. Walter was in the militia prior to WWI & gives his parents (1908) as Thomas & Esther White of 59 Market St in Northampton & his siblings as Harry, Fred, Herbert, Maria and Kate. Like you I found on the census Mary Ann, Fred, Herbert & Walter & later Nellie, b 1886. So who are Harry & Kate?!

Esther C & her children, all b Chesham were at the above address in 1881 where Thomas, b Bucks/Ravenstone & his daughter Maria, b Birmingham were boarding with her.

The only Esther Culverhouse in 1871 b Chesham was the daughter of Thomas Culverhouse. Please contact me & we can share more information.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 January 12 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thomas White appears to have been previously married in Birmingham to Maria Holyman in 1860.  There were four children of this marriage Harry (1862), Thomas (1864) Catherine (Kate) (1865) and Maria (1872). Harry and Maria were born in Birmingham and the other two in Northampton.

Nelly White Culverhouse was obviously the illegitimate child of Esther.  By 1891 all the Culverhouse children were called White.  What I can't find is a death for Maria White (Holyman).  I wonder if she ever left Birmingham.

Esther goes back to the Edlesborough Culverhouses about five generations earlier.  My Wing line links back to the same family.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 January 12 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that. I have just found 2 x possible deaths for Maria White on freebmd - Sep 1/4 1872 aged 39, Solihull, Dec 1/4 1877 aged 39, Birmingham.