Author Topic: Grimes married Roscommon c1813  (Read 3523 times)

Offline shasimaus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grimes married Roscommon c1813
« on: Sunday 25 March 07 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, this is my first post so hope I've done it right, am trying to break thru a very solid brick wall! If anyone can help me with info I would very much appreciate it and my apologies that the 'clues' are rather vague.
Edward & Mary GRIMES (nee McMullen) - believe married c1813 Co Roscommon Ireland; arr. Australia aboard "Hooghley" dep. Ireland 1827; believe he was one member of the 24 Royal Veterans Company aboard ship. A daughter was born en route Charlotte, she later married John Evans; am unable to find parentage of either Edward/Mary; no death record for Edward in Australia & no record of return to UK.

I also think it strange that if they married in 1813 and left Ireland 14yrs later that there has never been mention of any other children born in Ireland between my other contacts researching this couple - no one has been able to go back any further.

TIA for any information
Sharon
McGowan; Roser; Mickelborough; Evans; Grimes; McCurdy; Hall; Bowditch; Bull; Jenner/Jennis; Richards;

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Grimes married Roscommon c1813
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 March 08 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sharon,

There are three items you require when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish
3. Townland.

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline shasimaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 March 08 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Christopher for your reply - my only one!  :(  Unfortunately I am in Australia and unable (in this lifetime :'() to travel to Ireland as I care for my totally bedbound disabled daughter.  All the information I have is in my post so perhaps they will have to stay as my brick wall, but I certainly appreciate you taking the time to reply which I printed out for future reference.  Sharon
McGowan; Roser; Mickelborough; Evans; Grimes; McCurdy; Hall; Bowditch; Bull; Jenner/Jennis; Richards;

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 March 08 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sharon,

I had a look at Irish Ancestors Surname Search. It's based on Griffith's Valuations of Ireland which took place several years after Edward and Mary arrived in Australia but sometimes can be a helpful source as many families left relatives living in Ireland. www.ireland.com/ancestor/surname

It shows that there were both Grimes and McMullen in the same parish in the Primary Valuation property survey of 1848-64. This didn't happen in Roscommon but it did happen in the neighbouring counties of Galway, Mayo and Offaly. I wonder if the Grimes and McMullen families lived in a part of  Roscommon bordering one of those counties.   

Christopher

Offline shasimaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 March 08 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Christopher you have been very helpful to me I really appreciate it. I will check out that website to night, I've searched a lot of websites but don't recall this one. Thank you again - I might get lucky. Sharon