Author Topic: Help Offers all now Completed - Thanks Scatty  (Read 28204 times)

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
Help Offers all now Completed - Thanks Scatty
« on: Sunday 28 November 04 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Moderator comment: this offer is now withdrawn, as Scatty has relocated.

The thread will be retained, due to the information it contains

I am happy to try and obtain information in relation to  Jersey,Channel Islands  and  answer general questions regarding what is available to  researchers. Unfortunately I am unable to offer any assistance with the other Channel Islands.

Please try to provide as much known information in order facilitate the search and while I cannot promise a positive  find I will certainly look at all requests posted.

My research on your behalf takes place in The Archive Centre and following recent issues on Rootschat I have inquired as to the position regarding copyright.

I have been assured  their records are not subject to copyright and are freely available to all  and may be reproduced.

Fitzgerald/Mullane/Riordan/Heaphy/Barrett, O'Brien, Doneraile area
McCormack/ Brophy/Egan/Gavin,  Tullamore area
McCormack, Corr, Dublin
Hennessey and Heaphy in South Wales Valleys

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CENSUS LOOKUP OFFER
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 December 04 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scatty,
I have been looking into a link for some time and just found a small breakthrough, wonder if you can add anything to it please?

1881 census
Philip MESNEY     Head    M    Male    51    Alderney, Guernsey, Channel Islands    Magistrate & General Agent    
and family......
Huret Street, St Anne, Guernsey

could be related by marriage to a Barbenson family who were lawyers of Alderney.

Philip's son Giffard DeJersey Mesny born 1871 Alderney married in Leeds, Yorkshire in 1894 but may have still been home in 1891. I am trying to solve the puzzle of why Giffard and his wife Emmaline Charlesworth were absent from Yorkshire it seems in 1901. Two of their small children were with grandfather Edmondson Charlesworth in Bradford 1901.

The eldest grandchild, Stanley De Jersey Mesny was born in Alderney in 1895 so they must have flitted back and forth and were wealthy enough to do it.

so any help with any census would be great if you could please?

Many thanks,
Sue.

Offline france

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 December 04 14:32 GMT (UK) »
My g-g-grandparents Edmund Bogg (born 1806 Isle of Sheppey) and Anne Glenville born Mevagissy 1817 married in St. Peter Port, Guernsey on the 15th November round about 1834. Anne's parents moved to St. Peter Port some time after Anne's birth and she had siblings born in Guernsey. Her parents were Thomas Glenville (ropemaker) and Mary. Edmund also had a brother Thomas Bogg born 1809 on Isle of Sheppey who seems to have married in Guernsey as well before emigrating to New Zealand. Edmund was in the Royal Artillary for 23 years. We know that he spent 6 years in Ceylon and two in Canada but it also seems liekly that he was stationed in Guernsey as well and that was where he and Anne met.

Although I know what happened to Edmund and Anne after 1806 I know nothing of their life before. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

Frances

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 December 04 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello France

I am based in Jersey and the archive centre  here mainly h details relating to Jersey but I will be able to call into their office in the New Year and will see if they have any records for Guernsey 1841/51  and will let you know.

All good wishes for New Year

Scatty
McCormack, Corr, Dublin

Offline ChrisJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 January 05 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scatty ~ I would like to take you up on your kind offer:-
My gt grandfather Henry Harry LEIGH married in Battersea, London 10 Jul 1892 then aged 27.(b.circa 1865). In 1901 census he gives his place of birth as Jersey. On the marriage cert Father's name is Frank LEIGH Ships Steward. Helpful occupation for locating census entries!
Only other info is the certificate was first issued as LEE, but amended in 1898 to LEIGH.
Not much to go on, but any help would be much appreciated.  Kind regards   Chris

Offline scatty

• RootsChat Senior
  • Just love my genes !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 January 05 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hell ChrisJ,

Here is a short breakdown of my search for Henry Harry Leigh / Lee on the 1871/1881/1891 Channel Island census.
Also tried Harry Leigh / Lee and also looked for  him with father Frank.

Firstly no sign at  all of Frank.

One Henry Leigh  found in 1871  was age 3 boarding with a Nicholson family but born Liverpool.

Another  Henry Leigh found in 1891 age 11 was boarding at Teighmores  School in Grouville, no birthplace given and too young to match with yours.

This may be of interest to you and you never know may prove at a later stage to be a family member that one  John  Studdy Leigh in 1867 left a bequest of two glass decanters to a Henry Leigh.

If  you  wish to obtain a copy of this document  in the future should you prove a connection I can advise how to obtain it.

There is also the strong  possibility that young Henry was taken to uk at a very early age, have you tried any earlier uk census ?

Next time I am in the Archive Centre I will try to find an note of the index ref for his birth but it may take a while.

Best Wishes  and do post again if you have any additional information which may help in the search.
Scatty

McCormack, Corr, Dublin

Offline ChrisJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 January 05 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scatty ~ many thanks for the prompt reply. I did think it would be a needle in a haystack job. I have looked on my UK1881CD but no obvious entry. The only other thought is perhaps father Frank started life as Francis. Also there is also a possible sister to Henry called Flo (Florence/Flora?). When my parents married in 1941 there was an Aunt Flo living with 'Grannie Leigh' (Henry's widow Annie).  Annie Bartlett didn't have a sister with that name so it does look as if Aunt Flo may have LEIGH connections.
Thank you again for looking for me. Best regards  Chris

Offline Haidee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 January 05 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scatty

Could you please help?  I am looking for:

James Cochrane who was married to Esther Phillips.

I estimate their birth dates at 1794 and 1803 - these are very approx.

They had a son:  William John Cochrane 24/05/ 1819 to 17/07/1881
He was born St Peters Port and lived at
immigrated to Australia with wife Marie Le Prevost Guilbert born 30/03/1822
died 1882.

As far as i know they also had another son Peter Phillips Cochrane and possibly as sister.  Peter immigrated with his brother.

Thanks

Offline angwld75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 April 05 05:09 BST (UK) »
HI SCATTY
COULD USE YOUR HELP.
MY GREATGRANDPARENTS MOVED TO CHANNEL ISLANDS FROM  FRANCE .
I FOUND CENSUS FOR 1891 AND 1901 WITH THERE INFO.
MARC LANCIEN
MARIE REINE LANCIEN (MAIDEN NAME GAUTIER)
HER FATHER-PIERRE GAUTIER
THREE CHILDREN -YVES-MALE , MARIE-MALE ,ANNE-DAUG.
MY GREATGRANDFATHER WORKED AS A STONE/QUARRYMAN WHAT  KIND OF OCCUPATION IS THAT .
MY GREATGREATGRANDFATHER PIERRE WORKED AS A STONE CRACKER WHAT IS THAT.
WE KNOW FROM THE CENSUS THAT THEY LIVED FOR  A TIME IN VALE AND ST.SAMPSON IN GUERNSEY.
MY MOTHER REMEMBERS BEING TOLD A STORY ABOUT HER GRANDFATHER - THAT
THERE WAS A EXPLOSION IN A QUARRY AND HER GRANDFATHER WAS INVOLVED
AND SOMEONE WAS KILLED AND HE WAS DEPORTED .HOW DO I FIND OUT ABOUT THIS .MY MOTHER REMEMBERS SEEING A ARTICLE MANY YEARS AGO DO YOU KNOW HOW I CAN FIND THIS ARTICLE.
HOW DO I FIND MY GREATGRANDMOTHERS OTHER CHILDRENS BIRTH CERTIFCATES
WE KNOW SHE HAD TEN CHILDRENS  I HAVE MY GRANDMOTHER GERMAINE AND HER SISTER LILIENNE BIRTH CERTIFICATE. WE ALSO KNOW THAT SEVERAL OF HER CHILDREN DIED ...MY GREATGRANDMOTHER SETTLED IN JERSEY IN ST.HELLIER AT
12 CONWAY STREET WHERE SHE LIVED TIL SHE DIED AT AGE 92 IN 1968.
MY GRANDMOTHER GERMAINE  MARRIED AND MOVED TO LIVERPOOL. MY MOTHER HAZEL MARRIED AMERICAN AND WE LIVE IN FLORIDA .
MY AUNT WHO STILL LIVES IN LIVERPOOL HAD PAPERS FROM MY GRANDMOTHER
GERMAINE IN IT WAS THE DEATH CERTIFICATE AND NEWSPAPER CLIPPING OF THE DEATH NOTICE FOR MARIE LANCIEN.
THANKS

caldwell ,quine
lancien , gautier,merrien
walden